Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I asked to much in my 1st post?

2 Months ago I moved into the new house. The neighbor has 2 dogs, a pit/pitmix and a chiwawa/mix?
When we go into the backyard the chiwawa mix barks, then the pit starts in, my dog 1st shows interest then either ignores them, or charges the fence and agressivly tries to get at them (1 in 4 times).
We can put her out on a restraint (long cable attached to a tree) and all will be fine, then the neighbors dog starts in again
The neighbor isn't home much, dogs are outside pretty much 24/7 and she admits she hasn't the time for them but her kids don't want her to rehome them.

I really don't see what there Is I can do about the situation, any ideas?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would probably just not put my dog outside alone when hers are out there. I'd probably also be keeping mine on a longer leash (6-10') when outside at the same time as the other dogs.

Truthfully I'm not a fan of putting dogs outside alone, because dogs outside alone find ways to entertain themselves and very rarely are those ways that the humans want them to entertain themselves. They dig, they bark to hear the sound of their own voice, they bark at passerby and cars and other dogs, they try to get out of yards, they fence fight with neighbor's dogs, etc.

I don't like cable tie outs because of the risk of injury- dogs hitting the end of them full speed in a collar can hurt themselves, and a strong enough dog could snap certain kinds of harnesses. They can also loop around legs/necks/bodies/paws and break bones if they get looped around some part of the dog, the dog bolts, and hits the end hard. I also think that tying up a dog near where other dogs are barking aggressively at it is going to have behavioral consequences on some level, in some way. That is forcing your dog into a stressful situation where it can't make the treat go away and it can't flea. Eventually its going to response unfavorably and that is only going to escalate the aversion it feels towards the neighbor's dogs.

I would definitely worry about the neighbor's dogs getting into your yard through the fence. Is it fully secure?

You could conceivably complain to the authorities about the noise/potential threat of the dogs, I suppose, though I don't know how effective that would be and it will seed bad blood with the neighbor.

You might ask nicely, repeatedly, that they please try to keep their dogs from being outside barking all day every day?

You could erect your own higher, solid paneled privacy fence for security and to break visual contact.

Honestly I don't think there's much you can do except avoid putting your dog outside at the same time as their animals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two thoughts:
1) Tie-outs only reinforce trapped and aggressive behavior. Google it up.
2) Any chance you and your neighbors could schedule a K9 meet-and-greet (highly supervised, of course)? Might be as simple as letting the dogs interact with one another. Who knows? They might become buddies? I'd do it one-on-one, say with the pitbull first, then the other one. Try it on neutral territory to avoid the home turf dynamic.

Reactions: JasonW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts