Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I have a 9 month old Caucasian Ovcharka that tends to howl, bark, and grumble between 9:30- 10:00 pm every single night. He gets my other dog barking and thisgoes on for about 10 minutes and then he stops. It continues at random times throughout the night. I have tried ignoring the behavior for a few days, But then I thought he might need to be comforted so I tried calming and assuring him..still didn't work. So now I'm back to ignoring and not sleeping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
What sort of environment do you live in?

Ovcharka are termed as ”primitive” breeds, they are not normal pets, they are only only semi-domesticated. They have been bred over millennia to guard flocks of sheep and goats in wide, remote areas where they may not ever see a human other than their handler, and certainly not encounter an urban or semi urban area with people, noise, lights, traffic sounds etc. - even your other dog. Environments like that are stressful as they are on alert 24/7.

So my guess is that your dog is starting to get out of puppyhood, and is doing the job he is hard-wired to do - alert you that he can hear stuff going on.

What can you do? Sorry but the only suggestion I have is to move somewhere remote - really remote. Absolutely don't confront him over this (or anything else) because while most dogs will give a series of warnings before a bite if they feel threatened, Ovcharka (and other similar dogs) don't. And they mean business - like I said, they are not like other pet dogs. There is only so much you can do to change the nature/nurture balance.

Sorry, I'm sure that isn't the answer you were hoping for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. We actually live in an area that is away from the city. We are in a canyon with only a couple of neighbors and plenty of wildlife at night. I'm sure he senses that animal activity outside. I was just hoping there was a way to calm him, but I understand. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts