Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Have super high value tiny bits of food at the ready. Don't have your husband give treats or toss treats to her. You give the treats when your husband appears. When he leaves, treats stop. Don't put the dog in a position to approach him for food. Many dogs will overcome their fear for the food and then find themselves uncomfortably close.

You may not see this dog's personality emerge for several more weeks and adjustment may take months. I'd recommend McConnell's book Love Has No Age Limits. Great book for anyone adopting a dog.

Here's a blog post that might give you some perspective. Three Ways to Confuse a New Dog

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
@Houndluver, I just noticed this in your post:

," foster says they have never seen this side of her, but they also have 5 dogs so she wasn't in a position to need to feel dominant I suppose."

A dog that barks and growls in the manner you've described is not trying to dominate. In fact, dogs don't try to dominate us, ever. This dog seems to be trying to keep your husband away and that's most likely fear based. How a dog is described when in foster care can be very misleading.

You might want to get the book Culture Clash in addition to the other book I recommended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.