Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On sunday we adopted a 2 year old black and tan coonhound, Dana, as a companion to our 9 year old basset, Sausage, who is very timid and submissive. Our beagle passed away at the beginning of October, she was definitely the dominant dog and helped our basset come out of his shell. After she died, our basset started regressing back to his more timid ways, so we decided to get him a new friend. We were told by the foster family that Dana does well with all people and dogs and is generally loving and affectionate. The meeting on Sunday went great, she loved everyone, let everyone pet her, was great with my 2 year old and 12 year old. That evening was fine too, she explored the house and claimed herself a spot in the kitchen for the night. On Monday I was home with her all day, took her for a walk (she is also afraid to get in the car, but that's a different problem), she was affectionate and would come to me/sit with me. Did fine when my daughter got home from school, but when my husband got home from work she immediately started growling and barking at him, running away as if she were afraid of him. This continued the next morning as he was leaving for work, and into the next day so I did research and decided to have him armed with treats today when he came home. She barked at him when he got home and he threw some treats, when she would come near her, he would give her treats. She would take treats from his hand and then back away and growl some more. She then started following him around the house, growling/barking and then looking at his hands as if she expected treats. She barked all through dinner. She then sat on the couch with me and allowed him to sit next to her, but continued to look at him and growl at him occassionally. He finally gave up and went to bed and she stopped barking. I'm not sure what to do or why she is behaving like this, foster says they have never seen this side of her, but they also have 5 dogs so she wasn't in a position to need to feel dominant I suppose. I think she may be feeding off of my bassets insecurities, as he has always been wary of men and submissive toward my husband despite efforts to make him feel more comfortable. Any ideas of how to stop this behavior so we can all enjoy our new dog?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.