Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a question about Ruby, my miniature pinschers annoying/embarassing behavior. When someone visits our home, she runs at them barking, hair stuck up and growling. :eyeroll:

I try to discourage this behavior by not allowing her to go to the door when I hear someone come up & by asking people to ignore her until she calms down. She is NOT a mean dog by any means.. she just (I guess) wants to intimidate people..?

A little back ground info on her...
- she came from a BYB; I got her as a teenager before I knew about BYB's...
- she is a black/tan, 6yr old spayed female
- she is very good with people (except small, screaming kids)
- she has been raised with all sorts of other animals
- she goes to the dog park to socialize with people vs other dogs (ie jumps on the bench and walks into their lap)
- she does not do this outside the home, except sometimes off leash when she is supposed to be going potty

My question is, how on earth do I get her to not act like an idiot when "greeting" people? She is fine once the person lays a hand on her back and starts petting/giving her attention.

Any insight would be wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Yay! Another Min Pin owner!!!

I find that my Min Pin greets people much more calmly if I place her in a closed room while guests enter. After a few minutes I let her out, she sniffs/greets the vistor and then goes and does her own thing.

You may also find it helpful to keep Ruby on leash so that you can easily prevent her from charging a guest. You will also be able to remove her everytime she starts to greet a guest in an inappropriate way.

But if she is calm reward her with treats or something else that she really loves. You could also give guests treats or a special toy to reward Ruby for a calm greeting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! I will try those methods and see how she does with them. Only problem with treats is that she is a porker.. and will probably harass whoever gave her the treat for being good.. haha!

Is your baby a boy or girl?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Only problem with treats is that she is a porker.. and will probably harass whoever gave her the treat for being good.. haha!
lol! I think all min pins are obsessed with food!
You could try a long lasting treat like a suffed kong or a bully stick.

Is your baby a boy or girl?
A girl! Her name is Penny.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
lol! I think all min pins are obsessed with food!
This is soooo true.

You could also try the mat suggestion from Control Unleashed for when visitors come in (or a crate if she's crate trained). Might be more work than needed though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts