Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone's experiences with the BarkBox were! My doggie friends in real life seem to be split 50/50. A few of them have said the toys were low quality and the treats weren't worth the money, and others have said they'd enthusiastically reccommend it to anyone.

And what size would you reccommend for someone who owns a large breed puppy and a 45 pound mix? Both are pretty tough on their toys!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
That is so funny, we just put in our order for Levi two days ago, so it should be shipping fairly soon! We paid for the year subscription, since that translates to 19 bucks a box, and there is NO way we spend less than that on toys per month, so it might actually end up being cheaper.

Levi is an average chewer. His toys generally last, unless he gets super bored, and he really gets chewing on them, and we ordered him the "Just Right" size which is apparently for dogs 20-50 pounds. I think you can also make a note to them, that your dog is a heavy chewer and they adjust for that.

I think the total cost for us was 288, since we live in Canada we needed to pay the extra 5 bucks a month for shipping. When it gets here, I'll be able to give you an updated opinion.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well, Kuma doesn't like to play with toys that much and if he does, it's only once in a blue moon. (He loves playing with hands and then I would throw in the toy and he will try to rip it to shreads.) He only got 1 toy from them that he adored. I wasn't too thrilled with some of their treats, but some of their treats were awesome and Kuma seemed to like them. We also got cute bandanas. (We had the 6 months one)

Would I go back on it again? Yes, but right now I'm running low on cash. We are saving up big time as we believe we might be leaving sometime soon. (Possibly early winter or next year for sure.) I'm shooting for this year, but we shall see.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I found it wasn't worth the money - cheaper to buy the toys you feel your dog will prefer and do some of your own research on treats. Take Koda for example-I got her the 'big' size, but I'd have much preferred smaller training treats and bigger toys than she got. Some were interesting and I wouldn't have typically bought them...but those also died the fastest.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
So, we finally got our Bark Box yesterday, and i'm undecided on if it is worth it or not. I feel like I'll give it a couple more months to really make up my mind, but here is what came in our box:

1. A green rubber soda can that you can stuff treats in
2. A rubber football, that has holes for treat dispensing
3. A small box of Maple Bacon Biscuits (they actually smell awesome, I have considered trying one, but haven't :p)
4. A box of "Apple Cobbler" biscuits
5. A turkey flavoured chew stick thing

The dogs like the toys, and seem to enjoy the treats, but that's not saying much, because they are not picky at all. I'm a little sad there were two treat dispensing toys, and both treats are too big to put in there. I'll try to get some pictures of the toys at some point if I can wrestle them away from the dogs. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just wondering what everyone's experiences with the BarkBox were! My doggie friends in real life seem to be split 50/50. A few of them have said the toys were low quality and the treats weren't worth the money, and others have said they'd enthusiastically reccommend it to anyone.

And what size would you reccommend for someone who owns a large breed puppy and a 45 pound mix? Both are pretty tough on their toys!
Go with the larger box. You can always break down treats and the toys aren't that large (I get the biggest and my 2 share)

I love it because where I live I can't get that many cheap toys/treats that aren't what I'd consider poison or dangerous. Everything is overpriced where I live and if I were to buy all these things in the box separately local or online I would be paying close to double (shipping to "remote" areas kills the budget)

My husband loves it because it curbed my shopping for them. We're saving money and the dogs get new toys every month. (Manna just like the box :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always wanted to get my pooch the BarkBox but he's an incredibly heavy chewer and definitely not picky about treats. We figured that it would be cheaper to just buy the toys we thought would work best.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really like it. The surprise factor is a lot of fun. We end up with too many treats though. The toys usually get ripped up if they are stuffed, but it's fun for the dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Barkbox, it depends on whether your dog plays with toys often to decide if worth it. For $22-$29 a month, that is a fair price, if not a good deal, for 2 toys, 2 treats, and a chew each month. Then add in the convenience factor of receiving at your door.

Many stores mark up their dog toys so you could save money with their service. If you have the time, yes you could probably find these items cheaper, although their toys are unique so not exactly the same.

As far as toys getting destroyed, Barkbox offers stronger plush toys if you request them or you can pay extra for the Super Chewer program.

I have personally ordered Barkbox and written an extensive guide to whether it is worth it here: dogendorsed.com/is-barkbox-worth-it/

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I got the year long subscription for Cosmo and it ended a couple months back.

As far as the content of the box itself, it was okay. Each box gets two treat bags, two toys, and a chew. The toys have a theme each month which is fun for the humans. Cosmo got a chef apron toy for Thanksgiving last year and we got to take cute pictures of him in a stuffed apron.

The toys are okay, I think they let you pick the durability of the toys. I don't remember what I chose for Cosmo, I think it was the medium durability or something? He's pretty gentle with his toys. They're cute, but over the span of the year I noticed less variety in the toys. They have this squirrel character that they always use, and while it was cute and funny at first seeing how they will dress up the squirrel according to the theme, you just end up with essentially multiple of the same toy in different outfits with different expressions, which stops being fun after a few months.

The other toys were usually hit or miss. Sometimes you get awkward ones that are intended to be both a toy and to be worn by your dog (the chef apron for example, and I also remember getting a green hat with a squeaker in it), which I assume it for the sake of posting a picture of your dog in something cute on Instagram and tagging BarkBox as a sneaky self promotion tactic, but those are usually awkward for your dog to actually play with. Just imagine taking a hat and tossing it across the room. Not too exciting.

The treats were actually my favorite part. Maybe I'm biased because I did a lot of training with Cosmo, but they were always really good quality, and like @Shandula said, they always smelled good enough for even me to eat. (I did try one once out of curiosity - not as good as they smell. Trust me.) Cosmo liked almost all of the flavors, and they're all really good quality treats. They also let you say if your dog has any allergies, but by default the treats have no fillers like corn or soy, which I appreciated a lot because Cosmo has a corn allergy.

The chew was never anything special. It wasn't much of a 'chew' and didn't ever last longer than a few minutes at best. Kind of just another big treat.

Overall I'd say its fun and worthwhile for a few months or a special occasion, but a year was a bit much for me. I started counting down the months there at the end where I could stop seeing more of that squirrel around my house and paying the 20 bucks a month for Cosmo's box.

The most rewarding aspect ended up being unexpected, in that every time we got the box (or any package for that matter), Cosmo would get insanely excited. He tought himself how to open the box himself, and he really did get a lot of enjoyment out of getting the barkbox in the mail every month. It was fun to see him get excited and nose the box open to run around the house joyfully squeaking one of his new toys in his mouth.

I hope you and your dog enjoy them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts