Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy has been barking and howling in her crate nonstop for the last couple of days. She went from only barking a few minutes to now doing it nonstop for 30mins +. She is only 11 weeks old and we've been giving her two 15 minute walks per day as recommended by the breeder and lots of play time and training. I've tried almost everything I could find online to get her to like her crate (clicker training, rewarding when quiet, crate games, kongs, high value treats, feeding in the crate).

I looked up dog training in my area and found 5 star reviews for Bark Busters on yelp. Has anyone here used them before and are they worth the money?

They come out to your home and spend 2-3 hours teaching you how to train your dog. Sounds like they then watch you do some of the training. It is pretty expensive though.

$295 for the initial 2-3 hr session. You can get a year long package for $795 or a lifetime package for $895. They will basically be on call for you and come do follow-up sessions every 2 weeks. The trainer in my area seems to have really good reviews. It sounds too good to be true though.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I had never heard of them before. They use the term "pack leader" a lot on their website, but also don't condone compulsion training or alpha rolls or things of that nature - so that's good.

The price is pretty high for me, but it may be normal in your area.

Personally, I'm a fan of more local training facilities. I feel like you can get to know the trainers a bit better and they aren't so corporately bound. But if you don't have any other options I don't think this is necessarily a bad choice by any means.

Someone else may know more about them though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would run away from them. One of the first things they talk about is "how to become your dogs pack leader", you can read about why dominance theory is wrong here:
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/dominance-dogs-4076/

Unfortunately dominance theory has flourished in recent years, IMO largely thanks to the popularity of the show 'Dog Whisperer'. I was once sucked in to the mantra of the pack leader BS- after doing actual research (about both the beginnings of dominance theory- which link back to a hugely flawed study in the 40's- and about modern applications of dominance theory and the trainwrecks/failures that often come out of the Dog Whisperer show and are covered up by the network) I have since moved back over to the positive reinforcement side of training- I definitely see a difference in the way the dog I raised using dominance techniques behaves vs the new puppy learning almost exclusively through positive reinforcement, and I prefer the reinforcement driven puppy.

A puppy howling in her crate at night is not unusual, and if its taking her under an hour to calm back down I wouldn't be too worried. Try increasing how much time you play with her to really tire her out and put her in with a kong filled with frozen peanut butter at night. As annoying as a howling puppy is, IME most dogs/puppies go through a period where they will protest being in their crate. If you want to continue with crate training, you just have to let her tire herself out. If you're very consistent abotu her not coming out when she's howling she will eventually stop.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's worth the money.

Bark Busters is actually controversial in the dog training world....

Iirc, they are franchises so anyone with the $ can buy one and become a trainer. If you dig around more on the internet you'll find a lot of mixed reviews.

Ultimately though, they are known for the use of aversives.
This explains a bit about the tools, methods, and problems that can arise.
Bark Busters: Promoting Facts or Myths? - eileenanddogseileenanddogs

Personally, I would look around for a good reward based trainer through sites in this thread:
http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...ainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/

Also take a look at this thread on crate training:
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't know this until after I got my first Beagle:

It is not a coincidence that the name Beagle sounds so much like the word bugle. A beagle has a bark that can be heard for miles, and for this reason, the dogs used to be used as actual bugles during war time. I made that up, don’t worry. Regardless, the dog is still really loud."

Later, I read that the Beagle was selectively bred for the loud bark so the hunter could tell where he is from far off.
(The only dog with a louder bark is the Bloodhound)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Loud Barking

I didn't know this until after I got my first Beagle:

It is not a coincidence that the name Beagle sounds so much like the word bugle. A beagle has a bark that can be heard for miles, and for this reason, the dogs used to be used as actual bugles during war time. I made that up, don’t worry. Regardless, the dog is still really loud."

Later, I read that the Beagle was selectively bred for the loud bark so the hunter could tell where he is from far off.
(The only dog with a louder bark is the Bloodhound)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.