Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
recently I have trained my rescue pup (well not quite a pup about a 20 months old) to Heel and she has learned it very well. I really couldn't be more proud! Before she would bark at about 5% of the people we saw on walks that for some reason she didn't like. And about 80% of dogs she would try to play with or growl at. But after weeks of work her heel is on point, she is focused on me & and our days at the park or community events are SO MUCH more enjoyable.

ONE PROBLEM

every once and a while on a jog or taking a walk alone with her I come across a person who makes me feel uncomfortable. I am a 20-something female. Before we started working on heel this happened rarely. I think people that got to close were intimidated by my growling 70 lb dog.

now she is so well behaved that I have been approached by people who never would have come up to me with a protective dog. I did not anticipate this one downside to a well behaved dog!

I tried to find some videos on YouTube but all I could find had a dog who was already trained in bite work. I have NO interest in training her to bite!

I would like to know if anyone can let me know of a good video that shows how to train a pet dog to growl or bark from a heel, and not like a "speak" bark... that doesn't involve biting. Or if you have tips or experienced a similar situation.

I don't think I will have to use this very often, but it would make me feel more comfortable on my walks/jogs... Thank you for any tips!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I would not recommend training an already reactive dog to bark at strangers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We took a six week training class a while ago and she really mastered walking on a loose leash past all kinds of distractions (prey, people, other dogs, loud noises) and I apply it with her multiple times a week (we walk in the park and @ farmers markets) and she has lost any "reactivity" and she was barely "reactive" to start with...when she did drag me over to other dogs it was usually to play. She did get slightly huffy with other dogs when they lorded over her. but that was pretty much it.

I'm not looking for a "protection" police style nasty bark and lunge like you see in the videos. I don't want her to go nuts and bang on the end of the leash or anything.

I'm just looking for a little bark while still staying in her heel position. maybe I should just train speak?

or maybe this still isn't a good idea at all? I just want to be clear I'm not looking for that psyco attach dog look at all

she is a very well trained and mellow dog. I don't want to ruin what we have worked very hard to get.. which is a friendly well behaved dog who doesn't pull on the leash and I can take with me to farmers markets and dinner out at a café.
if training in a bark could ruin this I don't want to risk it

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The way I always taught it is basically capturing the barking. It helps to have a dog that will bark when they are frustrated, or excited, then you just use that to your advantage, wait for the dog to bark, and as soon as he barks click and then treat. For your case I'd pair it with a hand signal rather then a verbal cue.

So far my reactive boy knowing a speak cue has not caused any problem. I'm not asking him to bark at strangers even when I'm practicing out and about in the neighborhood. He's barking because I ask him to and he knows he gets rewarded for doing so. I do think there would be a problem if I were encouraging him to bark at people and rewarding him for it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Find a service dog trainer if you cannot figure it out on your own. Many PTSD dogs are trained to bark and hold on command.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've always been jealous of my friend who rescued her peek-a-poo(Pekeniese/mini poodle mix) I just love saying that because it reminds me of Pika chu. tee hee hee

Anyways, one day we were sitting down during my break and talking and we got quiet. The lady started to do a whisper like whistle and her dog started barking at me! I was like what on earth? Why is he doing that. I didn't even realize she was making that noise until she told me and he again started barking and growling at me. (But that all it was, just barking and growling, tail wagging, ears relaxed, no lunging or attempting to bark.)

she said she trained that to him because sometimes she gets scared walking alone and when she feels threatened or worried, she will make that noise and her dog would start barking and growling.(it wasn't that the pup barks at someone, it was the fact that he was barking. I think she just trained him as you would train your dog to speak) She said it was affective even though her pup was probably 10 lbs.(Smaller then Kuma's 12 to 15 lbs. my rescue)

I think you can train your dog to speak, but make it random and put a sound or que to it so that the person(you feel uncomfortable with) doesn't know you are giving the cue and they think the dog is 'protecting' you. I'm thinking of doing that to my next puppy.(Assuming she turns out to be a very confident dog.) Kuma isn't very confident when we go for walks on the roads with zooming vehicles and he doesn't like crowed places so teaching him to bark on command if I feel threatened isn't going to work.)

I couldn't get Kuma to bark by knocking on the wall or door if he saw it was me or my hubby doing the knocking. So I had to wait until he started any kind of noise and build up from there. But, for me it back fired and now he starts with this mumble growl while shaking his head and his tail is wiggling like mad and he's laying on the ground. (It's really cute)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Natenqen!
That is what I'm looking for, a bark and growl... but with relaxed body language. I don't want her to actually be agitated. I want her to be playing a game, not aggressive.
I guess before I dove into trying to train this behavior like I would any other trick I just wanted to double check and make sure there weren't any little nuances that I would leave out.
It seems most people are trying to train their dogs NOT to bark lol
But that noise is a good deterrent ... I guess I shouldn't have used the "Bark and hold" term...because that isn't really what I want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts