Dog Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently started gradually supplanting the dry food I was giving my dog with BARF. As of now, he has fully transitioned to eating only BARF. The problem is I give him almost twice as much as the quantity prescribed for his weight and he still seems to be hungry after having eaten this quantity. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Look at your dog , is he loosing weight? Is he gaining weight? The amounts described are a guide not a law set in stone. Let your dogs body tell you when you have it right a more active dog will need more than a less active one.. Also have you wormed your dog lately?

·
Registered
230 Posts
BARF as a whole generally tends to have less carbs/fillers, and these things make your dog feel more full so that could be part of it. I would suggest going to an integrative/holistic vet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at your dog , is he loosing weight? Is he gaining weight? The amounts described are a guide not a law set in stone. Let your dogs body tell you when you have it right a more active dog will need more than a less active one.. Also have you wormed your dog lately?
What do you mean by ''wormed''? I give him a pill once a month in order to prevent the accumulation of worms, if that's what you mean. By the way, my dog has lost 0.5 kilos and he seems to get constipated by this new diet.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What do you mean by ''wormed''? I give him a pill once a month in order to prevent the accumulation of worms, if that's what you mean. By the way, my dog has lost 0.5 kilos and he seems to get constipated by this new diet.
If your dog is getting constipated by the new food, and is losing weight, surely it would be best to switch to something else.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am curious, what recipe are you feeding?
Does your dog have any allergies?
How long have you been feeding this new diet?
I know that BARF isn't for everyone, but when it works it's amazing. My reccomendation is to ask an integrative/holistic vet. I say that, because regular vets are kind of biased. Also, his stomach flora is adjusting to a new style of food. For the constipation, I suggest trying pure pumpkin. I agree with @Madra Anamchara though. Maybe you should just switch foods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a mixture of various ingredients, including beef and salmon and some other stuff I can't recall. It also contains pulverized bones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am curious, what recipe are you feeding?
Does your dog have any allergies?
How long have you been feeding this new diet?
I know that BARF isn't for everyone, but when it works it's amazing. My reccomendation is to ask an integrative/holistic vet. I say that, because regular vets are kind of biased. Also, his stomach flora is adjusting to a new style of food. For the constipation, I suggest trying pure pumpkin. I agree with @Madra Anamchara though. Maybe you should just switch foods.
It's a mixture of various ingredients, including beef and salmon and some other stuff I can't recall. It also contains pulverized bones. No, he doesn't have any allergies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention it's almost been a week since he fully transitioned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a mixture of various ingredients, including beef and salmon and some other stuff I can't recall. It also contains pulverized bones. No, he doesn't have any allergies.
I forgot to mention it's almost been a week since he fully transitioned.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Have you had him tested for allergies? Not meaning to sound pushy, but sometimes a dog (or a person) can have an allergy you don't know about and the only way to know for sure there isn't an allergy is to test for it.

In this case, it would probably be best to change foods first, test for allergies later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you had him tested for allergies? Not meaning to sound pushy, but sometimes a dog (or a person) can have an allergy you don't know about and the only way to know for sure there isn't an allergy is to test for it.

In this case, it would probably be best to change foods first, test for allergies later.
Well, to be honest, I haven't tested him for allergies. I've only inferred that he doesn't have any, based on the fact that nothing he's come across so far was detrimental to his health. It never crossed my mind that something a certified company gives you to feed to your dog could trigger an allergy.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well, to be honest, I haven't tested him for allergies. I've only inferred that he doesn't have any, based on the fact that nothing he's come across so far was detrimental to his health. It never crossed my mind that something a certified company gives you to feed to your dog could trigger an allergy.
It's sad but very true that "certified" dog food can still have almost anything in it. Dog food companies, for the most part, are just like any other corporation: their priority is the bottom line dollar. If they can make more money by using something cheaper, they will. You cannot trust them. You have to do your own research, and learn what the ingredients mean.

The other thing to consider with regard to allergies is that people (and dogs) can have allergies to even the most healthy things. An allergy doesn't mean that the allergic substance is bad on its own, just that it is bad for that one individual.
Dogs can be allergic to fish, to chicken, to apples, etc, just like people. So again, the only way to know is to test for allergies.

Also be aware that some dogs simply do not do well on raw food, period. I have one whose body will not tolerate it, no matter what the specific ingredients are. It's not allergies in his case, just that his body cannot deal with raw meat. Your dog may be this way too. Raw feeding is great is if works for you and the dog, but it's not for every dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
It never crossed my mind that something a certified company gives you to feed to your dog could trigger an allergy.
Yes, it certainly happens - it doesn't make it a bad food, or dangerous, as most dogs will be fine. It's like how some people are allergic to peanuts, but they are still used in foods - these people need to be meticulous over reading labels, but the majority of people have no problem. You'd be surprised at how many dogs are intolerant to chicken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's sad but very true that "certified" dog food can still have almost anything in it. Dog food companies, for the most part, are just like any other corporation: their priority is the bottom line dollar. If they can make more money by using something cheaper, they will. You cannot trust them. You have to do your own research, and learn what the ingredients mean.

The other thing to consider with regard to allergies is that people (and dogs) can have allergies to even the most healthy things. An allergy doesn't mean that the allergic substance is bad on its own, just that it is bad for that one individual.
Dogs can be allergic to fish, to chicken, to apples, etc, just like people. So again, the only way to know is to test for allergies.

Also be aware that some dogs simply do not do well on raw food, period. I have one whose body will not tolerate it, no matter what the specific ingredients are. It's not allergies in his case, just that his body cannot deal with raw meat. Your dog may be this way too. Raw feeding is great is if works for you and the dog, but it's not for every dog.
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it, but I feel like we've digressed from the issue I was addressing in the first place. I mean, the food hasn't done any harm to him, apart from getting him constipated of course, which I consider part of the natural course of changing a diet. All I wanted was to give something to my dog that would quench his natural drive to hunt game all the while giving him every nutrient he needs and everyone I asked kept telling me that this kind of food was the next best thing. All I want to ascertain is whether the amount I give him is right or wrong for him. He weighs 6.5 kilos and according to what I've been told he should be given 2-4 % of his bodily weight, depending on his physical activity. What are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am not at all convinced that what you feed your dog will have any affect on his natural instinct to hunt game. If he has a prey drive, he will have that drive no matter what you feed him.

As for amount.....the best thing to do is watch the shape and energy of your dog. You want him lean, but not too skinny. If he starts putting on weight you think is over what he should be, cut back. too thin....feed more. there's not a formula amount that works for every dog.

Do keep an eye on the constipation, though, and if it continues seriously reconsider what you feed him and/or have him vet checked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not at all convinced that what you feed your dog will have any affect on his natural instinct to hunt game. If he has a prey drive, he will have that drive no matter what you feed him.

As for amount.....the best thing to do is watch the shape and energy of your dog. You want him lean, but not too skinny. If he starts putting on weight you think is over what he should be, cut back. too thin....feed more. there's not a formula amount that works for every dog.

Do keep an eye on the constipation, though, and if it continues seriously reconsider what you feed him and/or have him vet checked.
Yeah, you know what I meant. Food that bears a resemblance to game in terms of ingredients and the very fact that it's raw. Like, ersatz game. (Although, in the first days, I did boil it for about 5 minutes in order to turn it into a more edible version and then I gradually reduced the boiling time until it was served completely raw)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah, you know what I meant. Food that bears a resemblance to game in terms of ingredients and the very fact that it's raw. Like, ersatz game. (Although, in the first days, I did boil it for about 5 minutes in order to turn it into a more edible version and then I gradually reduced the boiling time until it was served completely raw)
Apparently I misunderstood... I apologize. :) If you just meant you want to give him food more like what he would get if he hunted, then there's of course nothing wrong with that. I do wish you luck with this, and hope your dog ends up doing well on the diet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something to except with a barf diet is less ‘output’ along with smaller and well formed stools 🙂 It is a sign things are going well generally speaking. A small weight loss is also associated, if you are concerned about this increase his portion size slightly. Raw is a great diet and has many health benefits. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts