Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started feeding all six of my siberian huskies the B.A.R.F diet last winter. I've been learning as I go and I am happy to offer some tips!
1. It took several months for all of my dogs to make the switch. The younger the dog, the easier the transition. My 9 month old pup never missed a beat and loved it from the start. My older dogs were hesitant at first but are eager eaters now. Everyone's health and energy level has improved. I can be more specific if anyone is interested.
2. I found my source by talking to people who raise beef or pork or poultry. I asked them where they went to have their meat butchered. Most people raising chickens do their own butchering, but you might ask them for the carcasses. In my area, everyone was going to the same business so I approached them about purchasing some of their offal. I pick up a 50 lb box of bone dust (the material that comes off the saw blade) and 50 lb of heart and liver. I have an old freezer in the garage which has become the dog's freezer. It is a wonderful arrangement.
3. purchase the B.A.R.F diet book.. available at amazon.. for supplement tips and how to make the veggie glop.
4. the hardest part was getting started.. now it feels totally right. It does involve a little more time when I am feeding, but I actually have saved some money by switching to this diet and I know the dogs are much better off for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have used the BARF diet for 14 yrs. When I first started the diet I could get raw milk/ milk products. They are easier to digest for the dogs. I can't get that anymore. I wish I could still get them. My kids really loved them. I give them some of the processed milk products especially low fat cottage cheese and other cheeses. If you live where there are farms you might be able to get raw milk.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Neat-thanks for the tips!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are so right! I began milking a goat this past spring and the dogs get a lot of the whey as I have been making cheeses. They LOVE it!! I've been recently seeing lots of articles about the healthful aspects of raw milk..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts