Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Private. I would not use Banfield. I've seen them rip way too many people off. A friend takes their dogs to Banfield and they give and recommend all kinds of unnecessary vaccines and procedures.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Again, private. I don't like the idea of medical facilities being owned/controlled by a store. I feel like even if the actual doctors are good they are probably contractually obligated to recommend certain medicines, procedures and even products.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
We use a private Vet, but wouldn't it really boil down to the Vets that were on staff at a specific facility? Not having used Banfield, I can not say whether the care provided is good or not, but as big as they are, there must be lots of people that use them and are pleased with the care. Would be nice to hear from some of you Banfield users on that subject.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with private. We actually used banfield with my previous dog for a while until she passed. I cant speak much for the costs since I was younger then and didn't really pay attention, but I think for me the thing I really didn't like about it was the location. At least with ours you have to walk through most of petsmart to get the banfeild area then the reception area is in the open. It doesn't really make much sense, especially if your dog was actually sick or nervous to walk through a busy store with lots of people, other dogs, animals and kids. Though I think at least with our other petsmart there's a separate entrance. I don't think we ever had bad experiences with the vets and they took good care of my dog. I think its more the practicality of its location that is my problem.
I deffinitly prefer going to our current vets rather than banfeild.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree with private. We actually used banfield with my previous dog for a while until she passed. I cant speak much for the costs since I was younger then and didn't really pay attention, but I think for me the thing I really didn't like about it was the location. At least with ours you have to walk through most of petsmart to get the banfeild area then the reception area is in the open. It doesn't really make much sense, especially if your dog was actually sick or nervous to walk through a busy store with lots of people, other dogs, animals and kids. Though I think at least with our other petsmart there's a separate entrance. I don't think we ever had bad experiences with the vets and they took good care of my dog. I think its more the practicality of its location that is my problem.
Sabina makes a very good point. The Banfield I know of is like this as well, with the hospital desk right in front of the leash and chew toy aisles. It really can be a health hazard to both the animals going to the doctor, and those coming with owners to shop or to the daycare/kennel. It also feels more...exposed than private hospitals. I mean the patients aren't people who need as much privacy but I've had some pretty emotional or private moments in vet hospitals, and I know I'm not the only animal lover who has. It's just not really the environment I'd want to get news of a serious illness or come out with just a collar in my hand.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I don't even know what Banfield is. So...private.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I have used Banfield for when I found my dog as a puppy, worked at Petsmart (got everything at a nice discount), and really benefited from the puppy plan (Monthly payment that covers shots and spay). After the first year though I would not use them. Their nursing staff is usually not trained through a school, at least my Banfield, they did all in house training. Not the most knowledgeable people and sometimes not the gentlest.

Now I would really only consider private.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your opinions, the only reason I posted this topic is because we use to take our lab to banfield when he was a pup but just last summer we've stopped going and I wasn't sure why but I did over hear my father complaining about charging $80 a month all of sudden was BS when it use to be $20 a month, I guess that's why we've stop going and we've start using our local vet.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I don't even know what Banfield is. So...private.
Banfield is a Veterinarian service that is affiliated with Pet Smart. Usually its located at the back of the store. I believe its basically a cafeteria style plan where you pay a fee every month, and in exchange veterinarian service is provided for no additional cost, or for some services for a co-pay amount, I would guess based on the plan you chose. Since I'm not a member, I'm guessing how it works based on what I have heard from some folks that subscribe to it. Since we are very satisfied with our Vet for Samantha, and I do carry medical insurance for her, its nothing I would consider.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Laco - Oh okay. We definitely do not have any veterinarian services in PetSmarts here. Must be an American thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts