Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was off work Thursday and I live about a half hour drive away from work. Well, I was going to meet a friend for coffee around ten then give Bandit his free bath for the month at work (it's been a few months and he was getting oily again). My co-worker wanted me to come in later in the day because that's when she'd be there so I figured I would drop Bandit off at daycare (he'd only been there once before) and then pick him up when I was ready to bring him in for the bath.

I was running late so I dropped him off at 10 and when I came back to pick him up at 3 he was acting really weird, I didn't think anything of it until I got him to work and started clipping his nails and he started growling and tried to bite me! Bandit is the most velcro dog I've ever known and has always been gentle so I knew something was wrong. Well, I did a check on him and found a bunch of little bite marks all over his ears! I called the daycare lady and she said that he was there all day with an older dog with no teeth and an eight week old puppy and she didn't think anything had happened. She said "I was grooming dogs all day and he just sat right beside me" I didn't even realize it on the phone but I remembered when I dropped him off she had mentioned that her groomer had walked out and stolen all her supplies the last week but I didn't realize that meant she was doing BOTH on her own!

You cant watch daycare and groom at the same time. So I can only assume that the puppy was using Bandit as a chew toy and I know from other altercations Bandit has had that he wouldn't retaliate just curl up and whimper. I am so mad! He acted strange for the next two days he even growled at Sadie when it was time for bed that night. I cried after I hung up the phone with her because I felt so guilty that I had left him there. I have a hard enough time with my anxiety taking him to daycare so after this never again. If he can't stay home or come with me then I'm just not going!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awful, is Bandit doing ok now?
Yes! He is much better and acting like himself again, we kept Sadie out of the room that night after he growled at her and kept him locked in our room with some toys for the day after to let him relax without the kids getting all in his face and that seemed to work to calm him down. I just felt so guilty because he spent five hours over there and I had no clue. His ears are healing up nicely too. Those sharp puppy teeth are intense!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Great! You couldn't possibly have known, especially since it was fine the first time you left him there. Do you find that people don't see when Bandit is upset? Echo shuts down as a default, I've had people insist that she's fine when she freezes. Puppy teeth are so sharp! I'm really looking forward to the day Echo losses her puppy canines.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bandit has never been one to make noise when he's upset. He'll curl up as tight as he can and try to hide from whatever is bothering him. So if the daycare lady was busy grooming dogs she would have had no clue what was happening. Yeah Bandit freezes too, I've had to stop the kids a few times because Bandit likes to "dance" around on his back legs when he's excited but the kids always want to grab his front paws and dance with him and I'll see him staring into the distance silently freaking out. It took a while but I've finally taught the kids to dance with him without actually touching him.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is! I should really take a video of it sometime. The best part is when he goes back to all fours and the kids try to figure out how to get him excited again, they end up just running in circles flapping their arms around :D

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I was off work Thursday and I live about a half hour drive away from work. Well, I was going to meet a friend for coffee around ten then give Bandit his free bath for the month at work (it's been a few months and he was getting oily again). My co-worker wanted me to come in later in the day because that's when she'd be there so I figured I would drop Bandit off at daycare (he'd only been there once before) and then pick him up when I was ready to bring him in for the bath.

I was running late so I dropped him off at 10 and when I came back to pick him up at 3 he was acting really weird, I didn't think anything of it until I got him to work and started clipping his nails and he started growling and tried to bite me! Bandit is the most velcro dog I've ever known and has always been gentle so I knew something was wrong. Well, I did a check on him and found a bunch of little bite marks all over his ears! I called the daycare lady and she said that he was there all day with an older dog with no teeth and an eight week old puppy and she didn't think anything had happened. She said "I was grooming dogs all day and he just sat right beside me" I didn't even realize it on the phone but I remembered when I dropped him off she had mentioned that her groomer had walked out and stolen all her supplies the last week but I didn't realize that meant she was doing BOTH on her own!

You cant watch daycare and groom at the same time. So I can only assume that the puppy was using Bandit as a chew toy and I know from other altercations Bandit has had that he wouldn't retaliate just curl up and whimper. I am so mad! He acted strange for the next two days he even growled at Sadie when it was time for bed that night. I cried after I hung up the phone with her because I felt so guilty that I had left him there. I have a hard enough time with my anxiety taking him to daycare so after this never again. If he can't stay home or come with me then I'm just not going!
Awww, I am sorry you had such a bad experience! That is inexcusable, there should be someone supervising the dogs. Don't beat yourself up over it, I'm sure Bandit will forgive and forget in no time :) Now you know for the future... I had a similar experience with leaving my Brody at daycare where I work. He just hated it, he apparently doesn't care about playing with other dogs, and just wanted to be with me. He was panting more than I've ever seen him pant, pacing, and just looked generally stressed :( I took him to the dog park when I was done working and he was back to his normal self, and seemed so relieved to have me back with him. Daycare just isn't for some dogs... I treated him to a nice frozen yogurt Kong when we got home. It was a learning experience.

Puppy teeth are brutal. I'd be a bit tiffed that the woman on the phone wasn't more apologetic/sympathetic.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Maybe another day care would work better. They do need constant watching while they are there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe another day care would work better. They do need constant watching while they are there.
There are some day-cares around here that have been recommended to me by co-workers, but they are never open early enough to get Bandit there before I have to go to work. I was going to hire a dog walker for my long day at work but its twice as much for an hour with the dog walker as it is for the whole day of day-care.

I'm glad Bandit is doing better, that must have been so stressful for you :(
Thank you :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts