Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,681 Posts
I have a dog like this. I reaaaally feel your pain.

I to, had finally had enough with all this ballballballball crap :D so we decided to make playing fetch alot more structured.

This is what I did. Maybe it will work for you.

No more free access to tennis balls. If we do play its the same ball/ same place every time.

She must bring it back completely or the game ends.

She must sit/down/touch occasionally through the game (som'thing simple that your dog reaaally knows) or the game ends.

When I end the game I don't remove the ball (this is important) I simply remove my attention. You can turn around. Or even walk away.

YOu don't want to take the ball away if you can help it. Som'times this can make the dog begin to guard the ball from you and other dogs.
They can do that because they learn that in the past when you approach him you take the ball away so he feels the need to protect it from you.

There is som'thing called an extinction burst (google it) your dog might begin to throw a raging fit about the fact that you will no longer throw the ball. This might occur once. Or many times over a week or so (depends on the dog) once its over...its over. Then the dog can go on with his life.

the point is...no matter how much whining/barking etc etc. Dont throw it. But dont take it away either. Taking it away will just make the dog fixate on where is it??????where is it??? or go get another ball. Instead, your going to teach him....we don't play ball at this park no matter how many balls there are.

You'll have to be diligent at the dog park because you now have to keep other people from throwing it too (my biggest issue, because people WILL ignore you and do it anyway)

Anyways. Hope that helps or gives you a few ideas. Good luck.

Crios

·
Registered
18,681 Posts
Hahah Im sorry i can't help but laugh at the poop eating story.

Glad the ball obsession is dwindling. It just gets easier as time goes on. They defineltly "relapse" if you get a stranger who doesn't know the rules and throws the ball. But it gets easier to stop each time.

If poo eating becomes a habit I can walk you through getting rid of that too. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.