Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. About 2 weeks ago my dog started having issues balancing, she began falling over, stumbling, tilting her head to the side, wobbling her head, swaying, struggling to stand and walk. She also changed her behaviour, she was quiet and withdrawn and off her food, all she wanted to do was sit on your knee and whine. We took her to the vets who said she had an ear infection which was affecting her balance (also some loss of feeling in one of her hind legs).

She went home with some ear drops and we were told to bring her back in 2 weeks. She started to get worse though and after a week we took her back and there she was given oral antibiotics in addition to the ear drops. She did seem to get a little bit better, more like her usual self and she is eating again. She has now finished the course of antibiotics but really her balance is no better, her ears looks a lot better when you look inside (no more 'gunk' or redness) but still she is having trouble standing, she splays her feet when standing and she is always tilting to one side, stumbling and seems to walk bent inwards. She just doesn't seem happy, she looks fed up and just sits and occasionally cries and generally just seems depressed. I don't know what to do. I'm beginning to think its more than just an ear infection (surely the combination of antibiotics and drops would have cleared that up in 2/3 weeks). Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Another question; she is the family dog (its just me and my father at home). I would like to take her the vets again because i'm worried its something more, however when I mention it to my dad he just snaps at me. I am 19 years old, so an adult. As she is a family pet, am I allowed to take her to the vets without my dad present? Because if I can, I am going to.

Thanks in advance for the help. She is a Jack Russell X Patterdale Terrier and is roughly 12 years old. Besides this at the moment she has no existing health problems that I am aware of.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sounds like it could be neurological. I would call the current vet and ask if he or she thinks it could be a possibility. Also if the ear infection did not completely heal it could still be bothering her. Yes anyone can take a dog to a vet as long as you can pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It could be a few things, vestibular disease, stroke, or as Dawnben mentioned something neurological. Vestibular disease is the best of the lot.

If you are able to get her to the vet then I'd go ahead and do so.

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, she is booked in to go the vets tomorrow. I'm really hoping it is that the ear infection has not properly healed but something in me is telling me its something more and something serious which I really hope it isn't as I don't know what I would do without her.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, most veterinarians are hesitant to treat a pet without an adult's permission (even if a child presents a pet and an armload of cash). There are huge legal dangers of treating a pet without that permission. But 19 is an adult so you are OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts