Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey is bathed monthly and by day 2 she smells like a dog. She eats dry food only and it’s grain free. She sleeps on her blanket (1 of 5) in her crate which is changed weekly. I don’t know what to do about her smell, is their something I can use on her and her blanket? She has allergies so I have to be careful about what goes on her skin. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have you tried a dry baking soda bath? Also be sure to check the ears if the smell originates from there. Dogs with hanging ears are more prone to get yeast infections in the ears.

You can wash the blankets in baking soda as well, or try vinegar rinses to remove the smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a dry baking soda bath? Also be sure to check the ears if the smell originates from there. Dogs with hanging ears are more prone to get yeast infections in the ears.

You can wash the blankets in baking soda as well, or try vinegar rinses to remove the smell.
. Thanks for your reply. Are you saying to actually dust her with baking soda? I forgot to mention that Bailey does not like to get wet,It’s not her ears that smell. I do a double wash for her blankets, once washed no order.

·
Registered
306 Posts
. Thanks for your reply. Are you saying to actually dust her with baking soda? I forgot to mention that Bailey does not like to get wet,It’s not her ears that smell. I do a double wash for her blankets, once washed no order.
Yes, exactly, dust her generously, leave it on for a good 10 minutes and then brush it out. Stand her on a blanket or a large towel to catch the falling baking soda, or if you can do the treatment outside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bailey, the golden retriever, is locked in a hot car as a puppy and almost dies of thirst. 2. Bailey almost dies in a fire after a boy who is bullying his owner, Ethan, puts a lit firework through the mail slot in Ethan's house

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. Before applying the baking soda all over I would suggest using on a small spot to see if allergic. I had a vet once who advised me to put Gold Bond powder on my dogs under arms because he sweat there. Come to find out he had a HUGE allergic reaction to it when I tried. And I told the vet he had allergies. Needless to say, I never went back there. So I am careful about anything having to do with skin on a sensitive dog.

What do you use to clean the ears?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi. Before applying the baking soda all over I would suggest using on a small spot to see if allergic. I had a vet once who advised me to put Gold Bond powder on my dogs under arms because he sweat there. Come to find out he had a HUGE allergic reaction to it when I tried. And I told the vet he had allergies. Needless to say, I never went back there. So I am careful about anything having to do with skin on a sensitive dog.

What do you use to clean the ears?

??? Dogs don't sweat under their arms. They only have sweat glands on their paw pads and mostly perspire through panting. Your vet should know this.
As for doggie smell it usually has to do with their food. Try changing your dog's food and see if it solves the problem.

Demodex can cause dogs to have a bad BO kind of smell and the smell is noticeable before other issues start to arise.

Bathing too often and with the wrong kinds of shampoo can cause an overproduction of sebum which is a natural oil that keeps the skin healthy. Excess sebum can lead to the doggy smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
??? Dogs don't sweat under their arms. They only have sweat glands on their paw pads and mostly perspire through panting. Your vet should know this.
As for doggie smell it usually has to do with their food. Try changing your dog's food and see if it solves the problem.

Demodex can cause dogs to have a bad BO kind of smell and the smell is noticeable before other issues start to arise.

Bathing too often and with the wrong kinds of shampoo can cause an overproduction of sebum which is a natural oil that keeps the skin healthy. Excess sebum can lead to the doggy smell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first year I’ve paid attention but once the temperatures get lower Baileys BO is pretty much nonexistent. Maybe that odor is from outside. I know when the grandkids go out and come back they have an outside smell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts