Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting last night and again this morning my Bagel the Beagle has been terrified to go outside. We went out last night as usual, but he was immediately smelling and following scent tracks in nonsense directions- we didn't even get to leave the parking lot and he made a beeline back to my apartment door. So now he won't go out the back door, where we normally go, or the front door. When I open the back door he spends a lot of time standing at the threshold and sniff, sniff, sniffing, until he eventually backs away and cowers in fear. The only way I was able to get him to go outside to potty was to drive him somewhere else entirely, and he only agreed to that when he saw I had my car keys- he bolted for the car and anxiously bounced around until I got the door open. All of this is brand new as of last night. The previous two nights, I did notice the strong stench of skunk very near our building, although there was nothing last night; do you think that's all it was? We live in more of a city environment, so we don't have bears or coyotes or anything too wild running around. Just typical city wildlife. There are also a lot of dogs in our building and neighborhood, but that has never been a problem before and last night/this morning there weren't other dogs around so the only thing he'd be going on is a dog's scent. He hasn't had any negative interactions with other dogs, so I doubt it's another dog that is scaring him.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was going to ask about bears or coyotes. NYC is seeing more and more coyotes , so it could be a possibility. It could also be the skunk, especially if the skunk was dead. The only other thing I can think of is a loud noise startled him, but you would have noticed that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I too suspect he heard or smelled or sensed some sort of wildlife, coyote being a likely candidate as they seem to be everywhere now, but you do get the occasional mountain lion that will wander hundreds or thousands of miles away from where it was born and end up discovered in some big city up a tree.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You're probably absolutely right! We're out in the country, as much as you can be in Illinois :rolleyes:, but since my three are pretty much immersed in all things wild all the time, very few things will surprise them now. Since you say you're more in an urban environment, Bagel (I love that name BTW!:D) has not likely experienced something out in the wild much. It may also be a raccoon, and those tend to get LARGE, especially out here. Sometimes larger than some medium size dogs.

Good on you to accommodate good ol' Bagel and take him to the park where he can do his thing in confidence and comfort! To help him become more at ease with wild things (if you have not already), try to find a woodsy area, especially near any creeks or rivers, and take him for a good couple of hours once a week or something. When I lived in town, I used to try to get the lab I had at the time out to the river to throw some sticks and such, which he loved.

Also, I wanted to say how much I love your "signature". Your comments speak volumes on your efforts and honesty in your relations to your beloved dog. Sometimes *none* of us know what we are doing! :D Hugs to you and Bagel!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.