Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, haven't been on here in such a long time...life has a way of taking over...you know.

But I have encountered a curious behavior from Nala and thought of you guys right off the hop.
She is 3.5 years old and seems to be doing just fine...eating, pooping, peeing happy to see you etc. just a normal girl. Well lately I have had to be gone from home for 3-4 days at a time helping my son but Nala is at home with Pops. Lately she will go to her kennel in the morning or afternoon for no reason at all. The kennel is in our bedroom and she normally just puts herself to bed at night. That I don't have an issue with but hiding in her kennel in the middle of the day?:ponder: My husband tries to coax her to come out for walks or to go see the girls ( I still bring her for socializing 1-3 times per week at a friends ...he own the business and is a trainer too) and nothing doing.

I am going to be back at home tonight and see if just my coming home will get her out of her shell...I may even bring her to the vet for a check up on Monday, if I don't have to leave again.

Would appreciate any feed back you may have on the matter.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks a bunch

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Welcome back!

Have you taken her to the vet to rule out pain as the cause?

Zody's safe place is under my bed, he hides under it when he's scared or anxious. Earlier this year he started going under there for no reason that I could see, at first I though he was doing so because storms were a couple hours away and maybe he could sense it, but then his behavior started to include butt scooting, seeming sharp pain around his butt, and paw chewing. Turns out he had colitis. Once that was taken care of his hiding stopped. Then it started up again a couple months later, I thought maybe colitis or anal glands but that time he had sprained his back, again once his back was better he stopped hiding. We're 3 or 4 months out and so far he's not hidden except when a thunderstorm happened and last week when they had fireworks after the Christmas Parade.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, yes going to the vet is definitely on my to do list. I called my husband a few minutes ago and he said she is out of her kennel and sitting in his chair.
She is such a sensitive little girl...
I will keep you posted:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
If she's sensitive, is it possible that something frightened her at that time of the day, so now she's taken to hiding then, in anticipation of it possibly happening again. I had a dog who was easily rattled, who suddenly wouldn't sleep at night--and wouldn't let me sleep either--because a neighbor hit some ice going up his driveway and slammed into a fence near our house, specifically on the side of the house that had the room in it in which the dog normally slept. The vet finally prescribed a mild sedative for a couple of days that got him used to sleeping at night again and once he had a couple of nights sleep without incident, he apparently got over the fear and back on a normal schedule.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it would seem that she is simply missing Mom...when I am at home she doesn't seem to do it as much unless she is hot. The kennel sits in the far north corner of our bedroom so it is much cooler ( especially in the winter time.)

I really had no choice this summer and fall.... my son's longtime girlfriend left and he was crushed, to say the least, so Mom was going up on a regular basis to be a support for him.

I've always known Nala was a sensitive little girl and now I know, so I shower her with lots of loves when I come back from a stay at my sons'

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Could be nothing, maybe a result of change in her routine, dogs do like sameness. Having said that, IMO any major change in behavior warrants a trip to the Vet to rule out injury, or illness.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, you are right of course, i did have her checked over by our vet and everything was fine. Thank goodness!
Because of her pancreatitis , i always rule out health issues first.
Thanks for the reply

1 - 7 of 7 Posts