Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be interesting to share our bad habits with our dogs. I know sometimes I'm lazy and skip things that I'm supposed to do for them!

I mean stuff like: leaving their breakfasts out all day (I do that occasaionlly), not practicing their obedience commands out and about (sometimes I don't), going to the dog park for free exercise (definitely guilty of that one), sleeping in until 11 even when my dogs are licking my face and pulling off the sheets (all the time!!!).

What do you do??

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I love working with Koda but don't do it often enough, specifically when I'm just tired. She's okay to handle it now so...we're lax on that front.

I also give mostly sloppy cues. I was very clear when first teaching a few things, but I trained sloppy cues as well in case I need something fast and don't have a chance to get the full cue in, or am tired, lethargic, etc. But then I kinda expanded and never got less sloppy.

I forget tons of things we're working on and only remember we haven't finished a trick months later. WHOOPS.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I reward sloppy efforts and am guilty of repeating cues. It's a work in progress...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I tend to get really sloppy in my cues and what I expect for them. I'm just inherently lazy haha. I also don't walk them when its really cold or snowy. I just expect them to suck it up for a few days(and they do).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm guilty of sleeping in while dogs are going crazy wanting to pee. I don't mean to but I'm a really deep sleeper and sometimes even the puppy howling and whining in her crate in the morning (next to my bed lol) doesn't rouse me in time, she had a couple accidents in her crate as a result :(. Fortunately it hasn't appeared to set her back and she is really good at holding it now and asking at the door to be let out.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He's reactive and I'm guilty of forgetting to take treats on walks.

I've been incredibly lazy about teaching him new cues.

I'm also bad about consistently making him practice leash manners, that one I'm currently working on and am getting better about.

He should probably be bathed more then every 4 or 5 months....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I start to train a new trick and then quit. Bear only knows to spin in one direction, right. I am literally too lazy to train him to spin the other direction. I have also quit on roll over and poke his head through my legs (peek a boo).

I also sometimes get them McNuggets at McDonalds and let them eat the entire 10 pc meal. I feel like this is so gross and bad for them but it makes me feel like the cool aunt, so I'll probably keep doing it!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I'm guilty of sleeping in while dogs are going crazy wanting to pee. I don't mean to but I'm a really deep sleeper and sometimes even the puppy howling and whining in her crate in the morning (next to my bed lol) doesn't rouse me in time, she had a couple accidents in her crate as a result :(. Fortunately it hasn't appeared to set her back and she is really good at holding it now and asking at the door to be let out.
I don't even feel bad about this anymore >< Unless one of the dogs is sick...they're unlikely to wake me up. One is being house trained but he can't hold it through the night sometimes and if I don't wake up to my alarm...ugh. So tired.

I reward sloppy efforts and am guilty of repeating cues. It's a work in progress...
Oh man, yea. Sometimes I feel like Koda is back tracking and it's just because I didn't wait her out long enough (she sometimes has a hard time being motivated to work, and lots of rewards was the compensation....). If I pause a little longer she'll either stare blankly and quit or get the whole behaviour at once.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I find it incredibly cute that Gabby gently puts her front feet on my chest and looks into my eyes like a star crossed lover. This is very endearing unless she has muddy feet. :) She might stop doing it if I'd stop reinforcing it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get all grumpy when my dog loses focus on our training sessions and just goes away doing whatever he wants so I really need to work on emotional management. I have yet to miss a walk on time but sometimes I wish I can send him somewhere so I can sleep in rather than getting up in the dark before work.
I have parent teacher interviews for three days straight next month. Because I'm so lazy to walk him after a whole day of stress and again the next morning, I've booked a pet resort for him which he insanely loves. He comes back on Sunday because I would like to have Saturday free for once in my life. This makes me feel so guilty but it just feels good to be a little lazy once in a while D:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
59 Posts
We let Roxy sleep between us most nights. Rico is so polite and sleeps right at the foot of the bed, out of everyone's way. Now Roxy. She crawls up between us and sometimes puts her head on my shoulder, sometimes on DHs, and is so sweetly snuggly we allow it. And then as soon as DHs alarm goes off, she crawls up on him and gives him kisses. I die every time!

Reactions: secrets0stolen

·
Registered
137 Posts
I let Jax pull on the lead, in fact I've totally taught him to, he was so shutdown when we adopted him nearly two years ago, he never got excited about anything and so to see him so eager and happy to be going on a walk is so wonderful to see and rewarding after so much hard work, I can't bare to correct it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Zeph doesnt really jump very much, but she does slowly attempt to crawl onto my lap one foot at a time. I think this is cute, especially as she is a 37kg rottie, so I allow it. Last night she even fell asleep draped over my lap (super cute!! until my legs started to go to sleep). This is fine for me - but can become a bit of a problem when she tries to sneak onto the lap of unsuspecting guests.....

And Im also guilty of getting grumpy if shes not behaving, and ending training/walks on a bad note. I do think I set my standards a bit high too and am expecting too much from her sometimes.

I also rewards sloppy responses sometimes. This especially shows when I ask her to 'speak' as she always does a few 'huffs' before a proper bark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Zeph doesnt really jump very much, but she does slowly attempt to crawl onto my lap one foot at a time. I think this is cute, especially as she is a 37kg rottie, so I allow it. Last night she even fell asleep draped over my lap (super cute!! until my legs started to go to sleep). This is fine for me - but can become a bit of a problem when she tries to sneak onto the lap of unsuspecting guests.....

And Im also guilty of getting grumpy if shes not behaving, and ending training/walks on a bad note. I do think I set my standards a bit high too and am expecting too much from her sometimes.

I also rewards sloppy responses sometimes. This especially shows when I ask her to 'speak' as she always does a few 'huffs' before a proper bark.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
mm... Ella sort does whatever she wants :eek: :D

Well, I manage her but she`s a free spirit ... in other words when I got her I didnt know much about dogs and only thing I wanted was for her to not eat ppl. Since she doesn`t do that I`m sort of ok with all else..heehee. *runs*

We did go to CO class - did great. She knows a lot of silly tricks and can heel forever. She rides the bus and the train and has no problem going on 3h car drives. She even goes to the cafe sometimes and has no problem walking between 80 Japanese tourists. She also doesn`t stray far on off-leash hikes.

Buuut .. she`s very vocal..if she doesn`t like something she will tell you, loudly. If she wants something and you`re not giving it to her, she`ll pester you until you do.. :D She`s a brat. Loud and obnoxious and so much fun. She jumps up on people she likes, eats my socks and shoppingbags, howls and talks back. She will also wake you up at 7am when she`s bored and then once you`re up snuggle back to sleep.

But I love it.

I could have put an end to all those behviours but I don`t fancy military style parenting and a little chaos is great IMO :D I love how she`s not shut-down and has so much spark.

I`m sure a lot of people would say something like "your dog is out of control" etc... but she`s really not. We have the basics down nicely and I don`t really care for her to sit on her mat 24/7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts