Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time fostering and I’ve had by far the worse experience . I wanted to foster a dog from my local animal shelter because I love dogs and I wanted to help a dog in need . I spoke with a coordinator and she asked me about my life style and what dog I wanted . I mentioned I’m a working woman ( Monday - Friday 9-5pm ) and I live in a basement apartment so a small to medium size dog would be preferred . She sends me pictures of a hound and from the pictures the doggy look fairly medium and cute so I said yes ! That’s the one for me . She mentioned he was medium energy and his background ( he was meant to be a hunting dog and was outdoors for most of his time ) . So I get my new doggy and first of all he’s MUCH bigger than in the pictures . He’s 60 lbs and reaches about everything in my apartment and taller than me on high legs ( dog gates don’t help ) . Anywho , I thought well that’s not that serious , I can deal . I was so excited . I began to pet and play with him and things were great . Crate time was a breeze , he had few accidents but nothing crazy . First night went smooth . Second day - I followed the routine they mentioned he was on ( food at 9am and 5pm . Walks in the morning , afternoon , and night ) but my doggy didn’t like being home . I would take him out for 45 min walks and he would come home to scratch and bark at my first door . I tried to seek help advice on what to do with my coordinator . She was no help . She left me to fend for myself . I took him to the dog park . I went jogging with him , playing with him , gave him rubber toys with treats etc etc . Nothing worked . He would come home and scratch , bark and whine at my front door and when I wouldnt take him out he would lash out and pee everywhere . Night time came and this time he didn’t want to crated . I tried putting him near my bed . I tried everything I could read and nothing worked ( I didn’t sleep the entire night ) . I finally gave in and let him out the crate at 4:30 am and surely enough he was back to my front door scratching and barking . I asked 3 times now for my coordinator to relocate him because I don’t think he’s a good fit for me and they have refused to get him ( they keep saying we are trying to get placement ) . Which I understand but I’m in distress . Day 3- Hes lashing out more , peeing on my carpet , sofas , walls . He scratches at the front door for hours . I had to take off of work . Nights remain the same ( no sleeping ) . Can anyone give me advice and is this normal for agency to leave you in a stressful situation . I feel hopeless . Any suggestions?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am really sorry you've had this experience this doesn't sound like a very good fostering agency.you need to be firm with them get in touch tell them you are not coping and they need to come and collect the dog it's for his best interests as well as yours.but don't let this put you off there are some great agencies out there . My neighbour fosters, her agency really understand the limitations she has, her husband is often ill at that time they do not try to place with her they always place small dogs, calm dogs and she helps with finding their forever homes for these dogs so it's really rewarding please don't give up because of this one bad experience.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is unacceptable behaviour by the dog rescue. Would it be possible for you to take him back there yourself, hand him over to the first staff member you see, and walk away?

Is he lashing out aggressively, or just having a bit of a tantrum?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sorry you need to deal with this. It sounds very frustrating. In the meantime, have you considered blocking the front door with something he doesn't like to scratch? I know dogs hate the feel/ sound of metal, so maybe could you string a bit of chicken wire across the door? I know it's a hassle, but it might save your door from being ruined.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts