Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any bad dog park experiences? What happend?

I'll tell you what happened to me today. I took my dog (young bordercollie) to our dog park where we visit quite often because she loves it and she gets along with many other dogs. She is a little scared at first if the other dogs are too excited and they bark. But usually she relaxes fast and starts to be playful like she is. Well today there were two dogs who were really excited and they barked a lot so she was a little scared and I told the people that she is a bit scared of dogs like this but give her time and she'll be okay. One of the people there, this woman started talking about dogs's behavior in a I-know-it-all type, and how it was my fault that she is so scared and that she is so poorly trained. She got really mad at me when I said that it depended on the dogs at the park if she was playful right away or not. She said that dogs behave the same way with any dog and it is just my fault that she is scared. Then she started saying that I should leave the park (with swear words) and that kid's shouldn't own a dog and that I didn't know a shit about dogs and that I'm a bad owner and stuff. It continued more after this, but she said nothing new after those.

It's kind a sad that dog world has this type of people in it... I felt bad after it because nothing like that has never happend before. Atleast my dog had fun because soon after all the shit she said my dog started to play with the other dog (who was really playful) , not hers (her dog was so dominating). But she kept on talking about me to the other people who came to the dog park, she also called me a liar and a kiss-ass after I talked to one of the other owners. She also had issues with other person there but she didn't attack her the way she did to me.

Gosh. I probably avoid going to the dog park for a while now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's sad that some inconsiderate person spoilt the dog park for you. I probably wouldn't go for a while whilst I got it out of my system, as your dog still enjoyed herself. I'm in the UK where I don't think we have any dog parks. And if we did, I wouldn't use them as we have so much open space to walk our dogs.

Good luck and don't let that spoil anything for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, true. We live in the city area where it's not allowed to keep dogs off the leash. There are some places where you can though, but we live so close to the park and Clio likes it so much. Always wanting to go there when were going for a walk haha..

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I almost agree with her-you should leave the park if she's there. I have one of those hyperactive dogs (she goes nuts for puppies) and I do everything to keep her under control but accidents can happen-nobody's gotten hurt because I'm careful, but a lot of people aren't and she sounds not understanding.

The other day Koda was playing with the dogs because Max was there (her favorite buddy) and this puppy was TERRIFIED of her energy. So I kept her away from him as much as I could, but he kept coming over to play. He was obviously shaken by her energy and had a hard time playing with the other puppy even gently, so Koda was a huge change for him but he kept coming over because Max had stolen Koda's soccer ball and just wanted to lie down with it, and Koda was jumping over his back back and forth. It was hilarious to watch but I felt terrible so we moved after a while.

She's also been full out attacked by two dogs (both german shepherds, oddly enough...I LOVE shepherds and it sort of reminds me how bad breeders can suck). She's slowly getting better around other dogs but I always have to be careful and do lots of reactivity training. Even when she seems to be playing she changes with very little notice sometimes (but not always) so there's lots of work. Dog parks aren't great for socializing since people don't have trained dogs there, but we don't always have better spaces for her to run where she won't hurt herself either so we try to take a small corner.

Dog parks are great and sucky at the same time. I definitely prefer classes where we can work on the things we need to. Before the attacks she had she was still overexcited but we didn't have problems with her being aggressive once she changed her mind and got nervous. Better to stay away or go when there are no dogs before stuff like that happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah good point! But Clio isnt totally defendless, she is a bit scared at first if they bark but soon she'll notice that they won't hurt her and then she starts to play. I don't take her there if I know that there are dogs that don't get along well with young dogs, but these dogs weren't them, and they weren't aggressive, they just came close to smell her and bark (they barked like they were calling her to play) so it wasn't about that. It only took few minutes for her to start playing and having fun and I was telling that to the woman but she didn't listen. Clio was also smelling these dogs too, she just seekt protection from me and other humans by being close to them.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Your whole life you are going to come across people who think they know it all. Once they have proven themselves idiots (usually happens pretty quick) I just smile and try to ignore them. So anyways I wouldn't let one person keep me away. If you and your dog enjoy the park keep going and try to ignore this woman.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I know, thanks. You're right about that :) I know I should just forget it. I was a little too overwhelmed by everything because it started basically from nothing. Well, maybe she had a bad day or something I don't know. I didn't really respond to her accusations. I kind of feel I would've like to had said something back but it was probably better that I didn't. I took it too hard, I know, I'm a bit too sensitive to such things.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Most dog parks are smaller than what Roman is used to so i don't even bother with dog parks anymore.

Also, I read and followed the tips of no dogparks for puppies...
So we never really started with the going to the dogpark habits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your whole life you are going to come across people who think they know it all. Once they have proven themselves idiots (usually happens pretty quick) I just smile and try to ignore them. So anyways I wouldn't let one person keep me away. If you and your dog enjoy the park keep going and try to ignore this woman.
^^^ This.

Unless I was in a bad mood before the encounter, I just take the attitude that I'm dealing with someone with "special needs", nod my head, and relocate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.