Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been having trouble with my dog's breath and can probably used a couple of tips to make it smell better. I want to get her teeth cleaned ASAP at the vet, but want to be able to maintain good doggie breath. I just bought her a KONG toy so she can chew on it, but she's not really interested in it unless it has a treat inside. She's not a crazy chewer, which kinda stinks because I know chewing is supposed to help a lot. Any other tips?
Thanks!
- Sarah

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I think after the vet does a good cleaning, the upkeep of that cleaning could be the key! You can also use a soft kids toothbrush. Toothpaste is not needed, it gives a nice flavor for the dog so if you prefer you can use it. Do not use human toothpaste. :)

You might have to get your dog accustomed, but if you brush a tooth and then give a treat I'm sure he will love getting his teeth brushed!

My vet friend recommends brushing daily. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I know daily brushing has certainly worked for us. Our Vet cleaned Samantha's teeth when she was 3 years old. It was hard on her, and took at least two days for her to recover from the anesthetic. I have brushed her teeth daily since then, she will be 8 in January, and her teeth are clean, white, no tarter, breath is good, Vet says no intervention needed. I use a childs toothbrush for her, works great.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Our Yorkie Munchie started out a very picky eater. He refused to eat his dry food so we were pretty much forced to feed him a wet food. His breath was horrible. I would use the fingertip brush on him and we had breath spray that we used but to no avail. The oddest thing was that when we got the puppy JuJu, he loved the dry food so for some reason, Munchie started eating the dry as well. I think its this weird competition thing they have going. So, of course I had three cases of wet food that I had just purchased. I ended up donating the wet food to a shelter. Munchie's breath has improved dramatically since he's been eating the dry food.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
What kind of food do you feed? Diet can have an impact on stinky breath and overall stinkiness. I changed my dogs food about 8 weeks ago and I've noticed a big difference.

I also brush my dogs teeth and give chews- bully sticks, Himalayan chews, and recently chicken feet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use this:

You add it to the water and it does the rest. You can find it at Whole Foods.

Apples are a great treat for your pet and it's good for cleaning the teeth too. My Boston likes to munch on them and it leaves his teeth clean.

Diet is a huge part too so, don't just use water additives or feed them an apple to clean the teeth.

I highly advise regular brushing too. I ,at least, brush my Boston's teeth every other day with a soft bristle tooth and give him an apple everyday with the water additive.

So far, it's really worked. He never has bath breath and his teeth are always squeaky clean! (My vet always compliments how nice he smells and how pretty his teeth are.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dog eats the Blue Buffalo brand of kibble. And thanks for the help! She's been doing well with chewing on her chew toys lately. I am starting to give her some of those dental sticks (for dogs or course) so hopefully that helps! I've also been brushing her teeth, and she is scheduled for a teeth cleaning in February!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use this:

You add it to the water and it does the rest. You can find it at Whole Foods.

Apples are a great treat for your pet and it's good for cleaning the teeth too. My Boston likes to munch on them and it leaves his teeth clean.

Diet is a huge part too so, don't just use water additives or feed them an apple to clean the teeth.

I highly advise regular brushing too. I ,at least, brush my Boston's teeth every other day with a soft bristle tooth and give him an apple everyday with the water additive.

So far, it's really worked. He never has bath breath and his teeth are always squeaky clean! (My vet always compliments how nice he smells and how pretty his teeth are.)
Oh thank you so much for your suggestion!! (And thanks for posting the picture!) I will definitely look into using your recommendation. Unfortunately, the closest whole foods I have is like 2 hours away. So hopefully I can find it on Amazon or something! Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts