Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a near 5 month old Maltese / Toy Fox cross who has recently been expelling horrible breath. We’ve had her since ten weeks and up until now showed no signs of bad breath. We have changed her diet around a few times however we feed her high quality kibble and supermarket wet food. I did give her tinned sardines and rice about a week ago but it seems this bad breath has decided to hang around. Its difficult to describe the odor, but its most prominent when she yawns, and if you are within 5m you will be able smell it, and it is VERY pungent. She also has a habit of chewing and swallowing random things like human hair and one to three times per week she will vomit yielding things like bits of plastic, lizard carcasses etc, but mostly yellow/white froth.

Other than that she seems fine, she sleeps a lot but she will perk up as soon as we take her for a walk or play. Ive checked her gums and they appear mostly pink, however a few teeth appear to be slightly brown or black where the tooth meets the gumline.

Im just wondering whether this bad breath is a normal stage of teething, whether she might be having a bad reaction to the food we give her or if it might be early signs of gum disease? Should we take her to the vet?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I'd say yes, let the vet look at her teeth - but are these her baby teeth? If so, her adult teeth will be coming through soon. But it may not be coming from her teeth, what do you feed her? Regarding the vomit, eating lizards, and plastic for that matter, can't be good, and yellow froth is usually from an empty stomach so I'd suggest feeding her more frequently (same amount of food, just split into more portions). As a small dog, that will also help keep her blood sugar levels more balanced.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got a foster dog from Spain about a year ago. She was supposed do be about 8month and had already been in a fosterhome in Spain for some months. However the first day I got her I decided to check her teeth, just to know the state of them but also because I thought she had really bad breath. And to my surprise I found this.
478FBD8A-209C-4062-9B81-9215F17D4208.jpeg
688B23F3-BC27-44F1-BD58-4426CEDDC9DD.jpeg
3BD418CC-A7E5-4DD4-A4AD-483F8869F76E.jpeg
It still amazes me that her previous foster home or the people at the shelter hadn’t noticed this. She had some persistent deciduous teeth and some teeht that were rotten. The next week she got a dental surgery and the teeth were removed. But to sum it up, it’s really important to look it up, especially since you say that her teeth appear brown or black. Smaller breeds and particularly the Maltese are more prone to dental problems. Therefore it’s also very important to maintain the hygiene by brushing their teeth.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m my experience as a pet consultant and dog owner my whole life. To keep a dogs teeth clean use hard chews like antlers, benebones, and raw meaty bones. Also too, chicken wings, chicken necks, turkey necks, duck necks, work just as well. The raw enzymes help break down plaque and tartar and the bones help scrap and massage the gums and tartar.

besides that plaque off works great too! And brushing their teeth with a coconut toothpaste works too. But I find that plaque off and the raw bones and hard chews work better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts