Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my staffordshire mix pup for about 2 weeks now, and while a lot of her bad behaviors form her previous home have been successfully corrected there is one behavior I just cant figure out how to break. She is about 5 months old, and her previous home from what i can tell did an awful job of socializing her and teaching her manners around people. she is very defiant, so scolding her for any wrongdoing doesnt work at all. She has no sense of hierarchy, so I've had to take a different approach to everything. Scolding or disciplining bad behaviors with time outs, and etc just makes her rambunctious and makes her nip and bark and run around like it's playtime. Timeouts have been hardly effective as a form of discipline. The biggest behavior i have had an issue correcting is barking. She has a really bad habit of barking at me insatiably whenever I dont let her do something (chewing, jumping on my lap while i'm on my desk, trying to look over the counter and etc). I ignore her while she is barking and give her 0 attention. I click and reward when she calmly sits by my feet and stops barking. I dont think it is sinking in though, and was wondering if what I am doing will work to correct this behavior. And it's obviously frustrating when I'm in a work call, or have to get work done from home and she is insatiably barking and getting angry at me and jumping on me and nipping just to get my attention. (Or when she decides to have a barking fit very late at night when the neighbors are asleep) I obviously dont want to give her any attention and reward that kind of behavior but I have no idea how to stop it or if what I'm doing is working. I try to remain as calm as possible but some days it's just so exhausting I get frustrated and my frustration just makes the situation worse of course, but I'm only human so sometimes emotions get the better of me. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage that behavior and altogether eliminate it? Or should I just keep to this course of action with only rewarding her with attention and treats after she calms down? I have also tried many methods to get her to exert energy elsewhere so that when I am working she is calmer/ more tired (longer walks, tag in the yard multiple times a day, playing with other dogs, playing fetch in the house throughout the day) but I still run into this barking issue multiple times a day.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Kikopup has a series of short videos to help with barking, you should find something helpful there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts