Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3-year old Husky mix rescue (Lucy) who is VERY skiddish and now seems to get very anxious when left home alone. About 2-3 months ago we had to put our 12-year old husky mix to sleep and up until that point Lucy had never been left truly "alone" but recently she has started getting into the trash and taking food off the counters even though she will have a full bowl of her food.

We have decided to start crating her again when we have to leave her alone and she has always liked her crate so that won't be too difficult for her but I have the following questions.

We have been planning on adopting another pup in the future (next couple of months) so:
1. Should we get another one sooner rather than later in an effort to help Lucy be more calm when the people leave?
<OR>
2. Will Lucy's newly discovered bad behavior likely be transferred onto a new addition and we should wait until we can break Lucy of this before bringing in a new puppy?

3. If it's 2, is crating the best way to break her of this behavior or is there something else we should try? This is a really tough problem to work on because she is a near perfect dog when we are home and never shows any of these behavioral issues unless she is left home alone.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
Hi Hulljas,

Welcome to the Dog Forum! I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your senior dog. Hopefully, we can help Lucy out.

My first impression in reading your post is that the issue is not about "breaking bad behavior," but by helping Lucy overcome her anxiety. Her anxiety brought on by the loss of her constant companion and now being left alone is most likely what is causing her to get into the trash and so on.

Of course, you'll want to manage her environment, and hopefully she'll feel comfortable being left alone in her crate. I'd also suggest that you read this thread about separation anxiety:

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/separation-anxiety-29576/

In terms of adopting a second dog, I think it might help Lucy if she has another canine companion. I would strongly encourage you to adopt through a rescue group that fosters its dogs in home settings rather than go to a public shelter. A rescue group will be able to provide you much more meaningful and helpful information about how your new dog behaves in a home setting and gets along with other dogs than a shelter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Susan. A few weeks ago my wife found a 4-year old boxer on a Facebook group free to a good home. We took him for a trial period to see how he would do with Lucy and our children and I'm happy to report that it is going great! Lucy seems happy to have a friend again and the kids love him. Thanks again for the help!

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
Thanks Susan. A few weeks ago my wife found a 4-year old boxer on a Facebook group free to a good home. We took him for a trial period to see how he would do with Lucy and our children and I'm happy to report that it is going great! Lucy seems happy to have a friend again and the kids love him. Thanks again for the help!
That's wonderful. I'm very pleased for you all. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts