Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 7. A rescue. Seems to be corgi terrier mix.

Mornings are fine. Afternoons are fine. Evening walk was fine. The evenings however my dogs seems to struggle with his back legs. They seem to be wobbly and shakey. He gets moving around and seems to work it out.

It's awful to see such a proud dog get embarrassed because hes having trouble walking. We have put stairs for him in bedroom. Lift him up and down as much as possible to save him the work.

I am seeing the very in 2 days to discuss my worries but I wanted to put this out there for advice.

Arthritis I can handle and the vet can help set up a treatment plan but my heart always goes to the worst case scenario.

Anyone struggling with this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet is lined up. Very much hoping for some help and answers.
Trying to keep him comfortable and not laying around too much.
Seems like the more he lays the stiffer he gets. If we keep moving thru evening in the house he follows and the evening goes better.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sounds like it could be arthritis, but you need to know for sure, so you can respond and treat appropriately. Let us know what the Vet has to offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 3 year old Shih Tzu has a similar problem. Her legs would shake and she refused to take walks. I took her to the vet and they took x rays. Turns out it was nothing, all she needed was medications for joint and hip health.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just returned from vet. With exam and blood work it has been determined that a start of metacam starts today. No spinal issue but the discomfort is clearly hips. Also a beginning of glucosamine chondroitin and omega 3.

Metacam once a day for 5 days..and then perhaps every other day as needed. A yearly physical and blood work will happen too.

One day at a time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just returned from vet. With exam and blood work it has been determined that a start of metacam starts today. No spinal issue but the discomfort is clearly hips. Also a beginning of glucosamine chondroitin and omega 3.

Metacam once a day for 5 days..and then perhaps every other day as needed. A yearly physical and blood work will happen too.

One day at a time.

How is your dog doing now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Metacam works great.
Make sure you keep up with the blood tests.
It can be hard on the organs. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi. Poor little doggie. Good for you putting the stairs around and carrying him to help alleviate his pain. Have you tried a heating pad? I am really into helping the animal as holistically as possible. I am not a vet or vet tech. I used to work with horses and I have had a lot of dogs. I have seen and done too many medications that either didn’t work, caused allergies, made them deaf and didn’t prolong their life. I have a holistic vet and she is on board with all of that I do. I use crates to confine with an injury, ice packs for sprains and strains. Heat. I also use allergy suits. All of these things have helped prolong my dog's existence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have not tried the heating pad. Dog overall is a warm dog so I'm not sure how he'd respond. He usually chooses cool places to lay..definitely not covered. Yearly checkups planned with bloodwork. He had clear bill of health when we did the blood work initially.

I have been introduced to Element 5. Has anyone used this? Smell is dreadful but I'd like more insight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts