Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am a crazy dog hoarder, but it looks like I will be taking in my fourth and final (we can only have 4 in my city).

Micah is a purebred tricolor rough collie that was bought to be a service dog. His old owner/trainer is a woman with over 50 years of Rough Collie experience who has trained a number of service dogs for herself and other people. He passed his CGC at 6 months old(!) and was doing stellar as an SDIT.
At about 11 months, (about 2 months ago) his owner took him to the vet because he was acting funny. As it turns out, he has a degenerative eye disorder. He is now completely blind in the left side and losing vision rapidly on the right, which means he will not be able to perform the tasks his owner needs. She had been looking around for someone with experience with herding breeds, blind dogs, and someone who would be willing to do therapy work and obedience with him so his training and excellent disposition didn't go to waste, and apparently a bunch of people gave her my number. We met and clicked, Micah and I clicked, and I don't think Pinkie has ever been more in love! Gimli and the Bit are also very fond of him, so it looks like he will be moving in with us. His owner doesn't need him out of the house until her new puppy is here in December, so we have a nice long transition time to get him used to living with me and get my guys used to him. We are planning on testing for TDI as soon as the next test comes into town and he can start doing therapy work.

I know it's crazy because I just got the Bit but there could not be an easier dog and he could not be a better fit. No housebreaking, no obedience issues, no problems whatsoever. He even brings you a tissue if you sneeze! :D

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I am coming to live with you and your amazing group of dogs. Certainly you have room for an Aussie and a BC? :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am coming to live with you and your amazing group of dogs. Certainly you have room for an Aussie and a BC? :)
Shandula, I would love it! :D Two of my favorite breeds!

The poor pit bull though would be overwhelmed by all the herding. The others already zip around and try to round him up and he's like "please... please stop. I just want to pee." :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
He's gorgeous! It sounds like he'll be a really great addition to your crew. :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
He even brings you a tissue if you sneeze! :D
Lucky You!

I throw a ball for HaHa and he brings me back a paper sack. :p

and Jaya... she just sits watches the ball roll by and then looks at me like ?What?

I think it's great that you are able to take in these dogs that very few would want to deal with - even though blind dogs learn to get around ok on their own. Most folks just don't want to deal with a new pet that has issues. But, at least you are getting one with issues that brings tissues too. :)

I've had dogs that went blind as they aged, and found if I kept the pathways they walked in the house clear, they did just fine. They knew were their beds were at and did ok getting up and down the porch stairs, although when outside sometimes things like a sudden breeze, or walking into a taller blade of grass when they had their heads down and sniffing would sometimes startle from that.

Congrats on the new pet and it's also great that you and your new dog are going to get some transition time to ease into the new life.

Stormy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts