Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husky that killed newborn was part of family's business -  News - MSN CA

This is the 5th "baby killed by husky" I've heard in the last year. People should start to take things seriously. Dogs are not babysitters, they are dogs. Not to be discriminate breeds, but huskies are prone to biting things out of curiosity, thinking they are toys - especially if they are small and move/make funny sounds. It's a shame, if only people were more carefull with their babies and pets - I actually think it should be part of those "parenting" courses - DOGS ARE NOT BABYSITTERS. Do not "trust" your dog not to do anything, do not leave your child unsupervised with dogs, do not leave the child in the room for "just a second" with the dog. All it needs is "just a second" for everything to go wrong and a dog to bite for some reason - fear, preydrive, pain..ect.. It doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Actually the "dog not is not a babysitter" should be common sense, so that's probably why it's not in parenting classes. I really don't agree with not leaving your kids alone with your dog if you know your dog and your kids, babies are a no no, but older kids should be fine, mine always are.

It's terrible what happened to that baby and I would want the dog tested for mental illness if I were the owner. I also don't count sled dogs as a family pet dog, they are working dogs so not quite the same thing. Just a horrible accident either way and I feel very sad for that family.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The problem is the parenting in these situations IMO.

It doesn't matter what the breed is, you should NEVER leave a dog and a child alone together. Not even for "just a second." It's asking for trouble. It's a tragic accident, but it happened because of someones irrisponsibility and lack of common sense. If you can't have your eyes on the pair of them then put the dog in a crate or another room. It is not worth loosing or having your child seriously injured over.

A small child may be irritating the dog and will not recognize any warning signs the dog may give before turning to bite. There is a point where kids just simply do not know better and while they are learning, it is the parents job to keep them safe. An infant? Its like prey.

A sled dog is not a family pet, nor one I would want alone with my child. If I could not keep eyes on them - the dog has no business being uncrated or in the same room.

The worst part is the dog will be punished, charges will not likely be laid on the parents but they will always have to live with this.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Tragic thing. Perhaps the baby made squeaky little prey animal noises. The dog maybe did not even recognize the baby as a young human.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't see where it says they left the baby alone with the dog?

Its interesting what you said Tess. Our ferrets reaction to squeaky toys is "omg its prey!" And we first realized that when Andy was "attacked" by multiple ferrets while squeaking a toy. One latched onto his arm bc of it! I think that's a great point and porbably what happens sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Well, its not my original idea, so I cannot claim credit. I think I read about this concept of babies sounding like prey animals in one of the dog books around here somewhere... not sure which one, probably Jean Donaldson.
Anyway, it makes sense as to why an otherwise friendly dog would "attack" a baby.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The problem is the parenting in these situations IMO.

It doesn't matter what the breed is, you should NEVER leave a dog and a child alone together. Not even for "just a second." It's asking for trouble. It's a tragic accident, but it happened because of someones irrisponsibility and lack of common sense. If you can't have your eyes on the pair of them then put the dog in a crate or another room. It is not worth loosing or having your child seriously injured over.

A small child may be irritating the dog and will not recognize any warning signs the dog may give before turning to bite. There is a point where kids just simply do not know better and while they are learning, it is the parents job to keep them safe. An infant? Its like prey.

A sled dog is not a family pet, nor one I would want alone with my child. If I could not keep eyes on them - the dog has no business being uncrated or in the same room.

The worst part is the dog will be punished, charges will not likely be laid on the parents but they will always have to live with this.
I quite agree with this. This is also my advice in.our local dog chapters. Never leave your dog and small kid alone together, not even if it is the friendliest of the dogs. Some would disagree based on their experience. If it is working for you, then good for you, but I do not encourage this. Better be safe than sorry. Most kids run around and I don't want to even think what dog with a high prey drive will do to them.

I've read local news of dogs attacking kids, even an infant. Most of these situations were because of lack of supervision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see where it says they left the baby alone with the dog?

Its interesting what you said Tess. Our ferrets reaction to squeaky toys is "omg its prey!" And we first realized that when Andy was "attacked" by multiple ferrets while squeaking a toy. One latched onto his arm bc of it! I think that's a great point and porbably what happens sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
If they didn't, the baby would still have a chance.to be saved in time. But I think they really did leave the baby alone with the dog. And Tess may be spot on with the answer re babies making squeaky noise that the dog could have mistaken it for prey.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If they didn't, the baby would still have a chance.to be saved in time. But I think they really did leave the baby alone with the dog. And Tess may be spot on with the answer re babies making squeaky noise that the dog could have mistaken it for prey.
Thats not true...a dog can grab something and kill it in seconds. It depends on the injury, it did say the baby LATER died at the hospital right? So the injuries could have been too severe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To me leaving a dog and baby alone together - you can be in the same room, or another room. They may have taken their eyes off the pair for a split second. Turned their back. Went to grab something. A second is all it takes for something to happen.

A parent should never leave its defenless infant and a dog together in the same room. You should always be with that infant and have eyes on both of them. The dog should not be close enough to that infant to harm it. Your eyes should never be off them. Parents need to control the situation and protect their children.

If you can't have your full attention on both of them, including eyes and being close enough to control the situation. Then the dog needs to be removed from the room or placed in a crate. They have no business being unsupervised together, its asking for trouble.

The only way I see this happeneing with the parents being with the infant is if they were completely oblivious to the behavior of that dog and then I would question why they have working dogs in the first place.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Honestly that idea is so incredibly unfair to the dog it's not even funny. Just think about how demanding a baby is and then think that every single time you have to get something or do something for the baby you also have to remove your dog from the situation. The dog would end up spending 70% or more of it's time in a crate or outside. Maybe it would be better to not even have a dog in that case.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Honestly that idea is so incredibly unfair to the dog it's not even funny. Just think about how demanding a baby is and then think that every single time you have to get something or do something for the baby you also have to remove your dog from the situation. The dog would end up spending 70% or more of it's time in a crate or outside. Maybe it would be better to not even have a dog in that case.
My thoughts exactly. This baby could have fallen asleep on the floor and the parents could have been on the couch...if this shouldn't happen then no family should have a dog when they have children bc the expectations seen unrealistic.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
IDK...
I tend to agree that infants and very young children should never be left unsupervised with a dog, even if it is the family dog. Personally if I had a baby and had to go get something/do something I would either bring the baby with me (if awake) and/or ask the dog to follow me (thus the dog would be supervised and the baby safe in another room). Doing so would make sure everyone was safe and prevent the dog from being crated for unreasonable amounts of time.
Though I suppose I could just have a very simplistic veiw on this as I am not a parent...

But no matter what, this is just a tragic story.:(

·
Registered
200 Posts
I may not be a parent, but I have had to care for young children and multiple dogs at the same time and I am firm what I believe in.

It's not going to kill the dog to shut it out of the room while you have your attention on something else. Ideally the dog should have invisible boundaries that it should know and respect but how often does that happen? closing a door to keep the two seperate for a short period is not going to be the end of the world. I would crate the dog during certain situations ie) painting, vaccuuming something like that. I had a professor in college ask us what to do because one of his dogs bite his 2 year old son when when the wife was vaccuuming. This could have easily been prevented. Its not an unreasonable length of time the dog would be in a crate for but I'd rather the dog be crated then a young child and a dog be together when I cannot have eyes on them because accidents do happen. A child may appear as prey or a child may not know better and they certainly will not know the warning signs leading up to a bite. Its the job of the parent to prevent those accidents from happening.

I don't see why a baby would just be asleep on the floor but maybe that's me not being a parent-thing. I would use a play pen? Where would that be. Even if it was and I was there and saw the dog approaching a sleeping infant I would have interrupted the dog. Removed the dog from the situation somehow (brought the dog to my side).

Try carrying the child with you. Try having the dog fallow you or attach a leash to your waist. Try using baby gates. There are so many options out there vs. leaving them alone together. Which is approriate depends on the situation at hand IMO.

I am protective enough of the children I care for on a regular basis. I am going to be very protective of my future children. I do plan to have dog(s) and I do plan to have children and its going to take constant attention to keep an accident from occuring. If I cannot keep eyes on the pair at all times, there will be a better solution then leaving them together.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't see why a baby would just be asleep on the floor
Because when a baby is laying on their blanket playing with something and lay down to fall asleep you don't normally move them if all is content lol

Even if it was and I was there and saw the dog approaching a sleeping infant I would have interrupted the dog. Removed the dog from the situation somehow
How do you know this didn't happen tho? I don't see anywhere in this story where it says the owner walked out of the room. How can this situation been judged without detail? For all we know the dog could have RAN into the room and grabbed the baby with no time for the parents to react.

They could have had a baby gate up and the dog jumped it. Who knows...

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i have to say that i agree, the details of the story were very vague. it is easy to say what we would have done or what someone else should have done in a situation like this, but really, none of us know. sure, we can all agree that utmost care and planning should happen when it comes to children and pets, but none of us know what sort of care was taken in this situation. for us to lay blame on the parents, and assume that they were negligent, when we don't even know what really happened, only seems to add to the tragedy, IMO...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
After having a son who was a "high needs" baby I can tell you it may seem simple and easy to do, but it's not. I won't go into the details about how difficult it was but the last thing on my mind would be "where's the dog"?. My kids have never been injured by a dog, not even a scrape or bruise and I do take precautions, but life happens and once you are a parent you'll understand. And honestly a terrible accident could happen if with you in the room so always separating the dog and child is not a guaranteed solution.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How absolutely terrible :( It's so sad that a helpless infant had to loose his life because of an ignorant owner. Maybe it's because I grew up with not the most friendly dog ever, but I would think it's common sense not to let ANY child (especially a helpless infant!) alone with a dog.

I've had many nieces and nephews come and visit me and my dogs throughout the years. Even my 'not as nice' dog who's now deceased never did ANY harm to them because both dog and children were supervised at all times they were together and were NEVER allowed in a position that would allow a child to get hurt, ever. I don't allow them alone with my dog now who doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body just because accidents can happen. What if the child grabs hair in a sensitive spot, or the dog pushes the kid into something. In my opinion it's the adults job to be the responsible one and make sure there is little to no room for ANY 'accidents' to happen.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
How sad for the family. I had a male cocker spaniel, sweetest dog ever until he hit 2 years old (yes, he was neutered) and began to maul me and my middle school child. Raised him from a puppy, never abused, neglected, etc. "Duffy" was cat scanned from head to toe, thinking brain tumor, something medical???, nope. Duffy actually followed my 10 year old into a room, grabbed her arm and then went for her throat!
He tried to do the same thing to me, just turned on me out of the blue. It was so bizarre, vets and a behaviorist couldn't make sense of it either. Anyway, I found a farm with a male single owner, had him "re-socialized" and the new owner called a year later to say he was the best, sweetest dog he ever had.No aggression problems at all. I have NEVER had one of my pets (family) do this. Go figure.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Actually the "dog not is not a babysitter" should be common sense, so that's probably why it's not in parenting classes. I really don't agree with not leaving your kids alone with your dog if you know your dog and your kids, babies are a no no, but older kids should be fine, mine always are.

It's terrible what happened to that baby and I would want the dog tested for mental illness if I were the owner. I also don't count sled dogs as a family pet dog, they are working dogs so not quite the same thing. Just a horrible accident either way and I feel very sad for that family.
I would had thought the dog was put down for killing a baby! Husky are known for going after small animals , the dog may had thought the baby was an animal. I remember when my sister had a cat that had kitten and the cat was very protected of her kitten. My sister had a baby and I was watching the baby who was sleeping on a bed. And out of no where the cat came flying at the baby ready to attack her! I was able to pick up my niece before the cat got to her! I was so glad I saw the cat coming or my niece could of been badly hurt and lose her eyes as the cat was going her face with her claws out! My brother -in -law threw that cat against a wall
and nearly killed it. You really have to becare with any animal when a baby or child is around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts