Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's that time of the year again, and we are expecting the babies to start coming in any day now at the wildlife rehabilitation facility I work at. We usually get lots of orphan raptors. So far just tweety birds. Thought I'd make a thread where we can share baby bird photos. I'll definitely share some of the baby hawks and owls once we get them.

Here's a pic of an unknown baby I'm raising right now. If anybody thinks they know what it is, do tell! He sounds like a cricket when he begs, and his pin feathers seem to be growing in brownish tan. I don't think he's a sparrow because of the size. We got baby sparrows in that are nearly all feathered and they're smaller than him. But I think he's too small to be a mocking bird or jay. The inside of his mouth is pink, not yellow. He's already grown so much in the 5 days I've had him...I'm pretty sure his tail is twice as long!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
So glad you are going to show us pictures.

At first glance, I thought it was a robbin, but not a yellow mouth.
So I am stumped. What are you feeding?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Aww, I was gonna guess robin too but I'm no bird expert.

Excited to see more pics!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he does kinda look like one! But no yellow and I think he's too small too. I'm beginning to reconsider sparrow. His feathers are really growing in and he's not getting much bigger. Sparrows have a red mouth, and the beak is similar. So maybe?

I'm feeding him a mix of cat food kibble soaked until it's a mash, chicken purée, and exact baby bird formula. So high protein diet, and he's thriving pretty well. Yesterday he couldn't eat enough. I think he was going through a spurt lol.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
@TiggerBounce...I just thought of what it is....House Wren.

I knew it looked familar.
Yellow on the outside of the beak, but dark on the inside. Hope I am explaining this correctly.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Awesome! Did you figure out what the other guy was?

Reactions: fawkese1

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts