Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crash is our newest addition! He comes home on Saturday (he will be 8 weeks old) We are super excited! My frist time with this breed! Any training suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
LOOK at that FACE!!! OMG so cute!!!

Congratulations !! :) :) :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! OMG I am so happy whenever get a Basset for the first time. lol The best way to train them is to really get to know the breed as best as you can. Bassets are stubborn little beasts, which make some people think they're just stupid, but in all actual reality they're SUPER smart and only do what they want to do when they want to do it. lol All my Bassets have been like raising a new baby, you have to keep an eye on them when they are a pup and be consistent at making them go outside to potty. It takes a little while to get them fully trained, and after they get the hang of it, they'll still go in the house if you don't pay attention. LOL I usually take my 'furbabies' out whenever I see them acting restless, like maybe they're looking for a place to potty in the house, but sometimes I get too involved in what I'm doing like housework that they will leave a mess that I will stumble upon later. Be sure to give treats everytime they go, because rewarding a Basset is the best way to get them to learn. However, my silly ones have learned that they can go outside anytime they want, tinkle a little and then run into the house and they'll instantly get themselves a treat.

Bassets really are a wonderful breed. They are very silly and will make you laugh. Not only that, but Bassets are very loyal and can in a way sense stress. There have been times where I was super upset and would just sit on the couch, and my sweet babies would climb in my lap and be all lovable and just sit there while I hugged them and pet them. They really know how to cheer you up! :)

I know you will have a wonderful little baby. I love seeing people get Bassets for the first time, although some people who get them tend to learn afterwards that a Basset isn't really the kind of dog they wanted and they get dropped off at the pound. I'm sure you will take great care of your new baby and give him LOTS of love. :)

Peace & Love!
~Elizabeth
Belly rubs & drool from Copper Hound & Zelda Marie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

And yes Steffannie, his legs are missing! LOL :)

Bassetlady thanks so much for the detailed response. The reason we choose a bassett was because of they loyalty and they excellent temperments with childern. I am a stay at home mom so Crash will have all the attention he needs! I am hoping to teach him to ring a bell when he wants to go outside. I'v already stocked up on holistic treats for him because lots of people have told me that the best way to train them is with food motivation. I have been researching them every day since we decided to buy him. I will probably be coming back to you to ask for more questions if that is okay with you! My hair dresser, also my feed supplier of Tast Of the Wild owns two bassett hounds and I am hoping that she will provide alot of help as well! :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
AWW he is cute! congrats on the new lil' guy :)

~MSE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts