Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feed a barf diet? My aussie pup refuses to eat dog food, wet or dry. I have been feeding raw chicken, pork, and beef. Does she need fruits or veggies, carbohydrates?

·
Registered
36 Posts
well i dont know if this has anything to do with what your asking...but...when dogs are skinny people usually feed them cooked chicken and rice. you could always add white rice to her food.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not familiar with the raw diet myself, but I would think you'd want to add fruits and veggies. I'll bet you could google information. I feed dry kibble that's grain free and the ingredients for that list some fruits and vegetables.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it is healthier for her to get some veggies, but not something she'll die if she doesn't have. Some raw foods, like Nature's Variety Raw, already has the veggies and such added in to make it alot easier.
Fruits and veggies are definately healthy for dogs, but I've known some dry kibble not to have any in...so it's not needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, your dog needs many more nutrients than you are supplying. A complete diet for dogs includes dicalcium phosphate (or bone meal), among other things. Talk to your vet, or check out the internet.

It is okay to feed a vegetarian diet too (dogs are omnivores), but again, you must go over the complete diet with a vet.

SO glad to hear you're trying this diet! It is awesome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please do some research if your thinking about going the vegetarian/vegan option for your dog. Depending on what you read and who's side of the arguement your on, your dog will require the correct ratio of protein and various supplements to make up for the bone meal which will be missing from the diet.

Personally I like the idea that my dog will eat most things and so feed a variety of foods and bones/meat along with a premium dry food. Each to their own, and I think the best diet to feed your dog will always be a hot topic and something which depends on the dog, the owner and their individual circumstances.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its a personal choice on what you feed your dog...

with the B.A.R.F feeding, you need to feed them veggies and fruit as well. Remember when wolf/wild dog etc eat their kill they eat everything including the stomache, and seeing as most carnivores eat herbivores.

There is a book by who I think is an Australia, it goes into detail about feeding dogs on a B.A.R.F diet.

one thing is say, when they are consuming thier kill remeber that the plantation has been chewed and partly digested. so when looking at feed veggies and fruit, try to go natural, raw veggies (NO onions) place them in a food processor or if you have a juicer the pulp from that is better...

But please find the right way of doing as some breeds don't trend to do to well on B.A.R.F when they are young...

When cooking chicken make sure there are NO bones in it, if you have pet quality chicken mince, most of the time they are made from grounded up chicken frames etc and contain bone fragment... DON'T COOK THIS MEAT!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
well i dont know if this has anything to do with what your asking...but...when dogs are skinny people usually feed them cooked chicken and rice. you could always add white rice to her food.
Cooked chicken and rice is often used for dogs with diarrhea (sp) - it is not full of nutrition thats why it is used, it is very calming on an upset tummy. It is not a complete food and I doubt it will put weight on your pup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jynx is now 13 weeks old she has started eating some dry dog food. I've been giving her raw meat, bones included in the morning and 3/4cups of Wellness brand dog food for dinner. The info I found said it takes longer for their body to digest the raw food so I figure she's more active during the day. But your to never mix raw and dry food within five hours or so of each other, it will make them sick.
She started eating raw baby carrots for snacks and the Wellness has spinach, sweet potatoes, apples bluberries and lots of other good stuff in it. So I think she should be getting all the nutrients she needs. It seems like the older she gets the more she is willing to try. I've also been giving her cheese bits for training treats. She loves cheese!
Anybody have an opinion on Wellness? The ingredient label looks great just wondering if anyone else uses it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
But your to never mix raw and dry food within five hours or so of each other, it will make them sick.
Very interesting!

Anybody have an opinion on Wellness? The ingredient label looks great just wondering if anyone else uses it.
I've never fed it personally, but know some who do and give it great reviews. It is one of the better brands you can get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I understand the five hours is to cover digestion time.
Per www.barfworld.com
'...some pets may develop gastrointestinal upset as they cannot tolerate these two vastly different types of food in their digestive system at the same time.'

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a brand of dog food. I think you can only but it online or through a petstore such as Petco, not at a retail store like Krogers/Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting post! I have fed my puppies and adults mixtures of Raw food with dry kibble and never had any problems at all.

I never feed them raw chicken as it has salmanila (sp?) and I got it once from my dogs! So when I want to give them chicken I cook it.

The only thing I would add for your pup is Goat yogurt and some veggies. I stay away from any veggies that cause gas! For obvious reasons! :D

There are a lot of frozen diets out there that are great to feed your puppy and for adult dogs. I have learned when feeding these that you have to feed more if they contain Veggies. They have a higher water content.

The only bones I give them are the big knuckle bones. (The head of a femur of a cow or buffalo). This is great for the minerals and especially for teething puppies!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feed Maya a Prey Model Raw Diet. I consider it to be more accurate than the BARF diet as dogs don't actually eat veggies as a main part in their diet in the wild. Wolves shake out the stomach contents of their prey. Everything a dog needs is in the meat. But when you feed a raw diet you HAVE to follow the guidelines or your dog will be missing nutrients. Make sure to feed variety, and feed 80% meat, 10% bone(chicken bones raw are the easiest for dogs to eat, and believe me are completely digestable raw). 10% organ. Half of the organ amount HAS to be liver of some type. the other 50% can be any organ you choose. But note that heart, and I believe brain is considered meat not organ in the raw diet world.

To start you feed 2% of current or potential body weight. More if you have a dog that has a hard time keeping weight on. Maya is 65 lbs and she gets 2.5% or 1.62 lbs of meat/bone/organ per day. I have to say she looks 100 times better than she did before, and I'm finally getting solid poop, which I didn't have until the raw diet. She had really bad allergies as a puppy, until we switched.

ADD: Wellness is a high quality dog food. You can find it at Petco. You can also sometimes find it at smaller pet stores. Smaller family owned pet stores also usually have the higher quality foods like Orijen, Wellness, and Natures Variety, that you cannot find at Petco or Petsmart or for the most part any other large mass producted pet store.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I fed my Basenjii entirely on Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. AKA BARF. ;-)

Every Morning fed mostly Raw Chicken parts (bones and all) or Pork chops and Butcher cut chicken backs. Mixed in Cottage Cheese, Raw Pumkin and Kale before bedtime. Then on Sunday every week they weren't fed at all. Occasionally we gave them Pure Pumpkin mixed with yogurt. Gizzards and chicken hearts along with beef liver throughout the week. With two dogs this was pretty affordable. But now running a breeding Kennel.....its cheaper buying kibble food bulk. Now raw foods are a supplement to their daily Kibble.

They were the finest looking Basenjii I ever saw. and from all the Basenji playdates we went to you could clearly see they stood out as healthier and fitter looking than the rest. As they aged my Veterinarian sometimes thought we were bringing in new dogs since as a result of the diet their teeth were cleaner than normal and suggested their age as younger than they were.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts