Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet 2 year old golden retriever, male, named Walter. When we moved to our new house, we made the mistake of letting him sleep in our bed. We currently have moved him back to his kennel at night because he is too large for the bed and I am pregnant. He has become aggressive and refuses to get off the couch or floor at night we say kennel. The confusing part is that he will go in his kennel willingly during the day although the he stays out and roams the house when we are out. He only is put in his kennel at night. The only time he chooses not to listen is at night. He looks physically upset and disturbed when I say kennel. we have to put a leash on him and pull him up every night. His kennel is clean, in the living room, and he goes in willingly during the day no problem. Another odd fact is that when he stays at my parents, he goes in their kennel at night no problem :( treats do not work on him. I have tried everything! Why will he go in during he day but not at night!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is very odd. Have you tried just leaving him out at night? Like on the sofa/floor, wherever? If he's not destructive and doesn't have potty training issues maybe you could leave him out? If you must put him up, if treats aren't working, perhaps a peanut butter filled Kong? Mine would follow a stuffed Kong to the ends of the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps the move from the bed to the kennel in the other room was too much of a change too quickly. With most dogs/situations it's the other way around (kennel during the day when you are away and out free at night). Perhaps try moving the kennel into your room at night and/or buying a second one for your room. Do that for a few weeks and either gradually move it out of your room (if you want to keep him in the kennel at night) or let him out but don't let him on the bed (you could lay in your bed during the day and reward him for staying on the floor / not jumping up to condition him).

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Since he is old enough to be out of the kennel I would buy him a very cushy bed of his own and train him to go to it at night.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
He is a smart dog. He knows he can come and go to his crate during the day but when you say "kennel" at night he knows he is going to be locked up for the night. Do you give him a treat when he goes in his kennel at night? I start right from the first time they are put in the crate giving them a small tasty treat. Bonnie and Kris both sleep in their crates off and on during the day. At night when I say "bedtime" they head into their crates as they know even though Bonnie is 8 months and Kris is just over three years, they will get a nice treat for going in and both of them have done it since they were puppies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.