Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
New here. Wondering if anyone has ever experienced this....our 3 year old (we think) male dog has just recently started this very strange behavior of avoiding very specific areas in our home when walking through our kitchen or our living room. For example, the way for him to get to our back door to go outside is a very obvious, straight shot! NOrmally, he just prances right through the main area of the kitchen and out the door....does his business, then right back in - same route - happy as a clam - jumping over the threshold and skidding to a stop :) For the last four days or so, he's been avoiding his usual / easiest route to the door to go out, and makes an effort to literally stop, look around at the floor, redirect his route, go the whole way around our table and bar in the kitchen, until he makes it to the door. Then the same when he comes back in! It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. THere's nothing different or weird about the pathway he normally takes. Anyone experience this?? Also noticed that he peed in the house 2 times the last three days and he's completely house trained....never, ever had accidents before! Help!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Something has frightened him, or something terrifying happened. Its clear he has had what he considers a very aversive experience. You'll have to investigate. It my be as simple as that he slipped and fell on the floor, or another animal startled him, or someone scolded him... something happened.

The indoor peeing could be nervousness as well, or he felt he could not get to the door, or he has an illness.... Those are all things to be investigated.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
And here is THE tutorial on how to help him over this...

Reactions: pkelley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something has frightened him, or something terrifying happened. Its clear he has had what he considers a very aversive experience. You'll have to investigate. It my be as simple as that he slipped and fell on the floor, or another animal startled him, or someone scolded him... something happened.
STrange though because the kitchen isn't the only place he does this. There are other spots in the house as well.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Yep, Addy will ONLY come in the house if the person letting her in is standing to the LEFT of the door, and ONLY after she circles the yard one more time to make her "right" approach. She also won't go up the steps to the second floor without the night light on. She will sit at the bottom and cry, daytime is fine...
so many things for us to work on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well no pee found in the house today, but I'm still wondering if maybe it's a UTI or something else medical related. He acted very strange when my husband came home tonight :(normally jumps all over him at the door & begs for kisses. Tonight....barely paid him any attention until really coaxed to come say hi. Just all so odd....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Seems like a vet visit asap is in order... strange behavior... the rule is to always check out the medical end first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, went to the vet today. Will know results of urine test tomorrow morning. Pup's anal sacs were full so I'm wondering if that may have been causing discomfort. I didn't notice any scooting or chewing though. Oh well, guess we'll see what the test results tell us!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Did the vet draw any blood for blood tests?

Sounds like not much showed up on the physical exam except anal glands... hm.... doesn't seem like that would cause these fear reactions..

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Ditto with Tess. So glad you took him to the vet...Addy used to hide from us when she was sick, skittered ALL OVER the house and would get in my bed and go under the covers...weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts