Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new puppy and think the Australian Shepherd will make a great match for me. I am going to look at one tomorrow which is claimed to be a purebread but from the pictures of the sire and dam I seriously have my doubts. The sire does look like an Aussie, but the dam, not even close. I have attached images of the pup, sire and dam and am curious to thoughts of what the breed of the mother may be close to.

I am not concerned with having a registered purebred and do not intend to show or compete the dog. But i do have a very active lifestyle of trail running, hiking, camping, backpacking, etc... which i would like to know that the attributes of the Aussie which fit well with these activities will not be too far muddled out. I do a lot of cold weather activity as well. The mother looks short haired but the pup definitely seems to have a full coat. Can i assume she will be comfortable outside in the cold weather of an Ohio winter?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should be concerned with having a registered purebred as they should be the ones you can trust to be raised by professionals and health tested and not backyard breeders.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think an Aussie would be a great match for your lifestyle but I agree with Legend that a purebred would be better for health reasons and also since Ohio gets super cold (I used to live in Cleveland) and a purebred Aussie might fare better.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with the above. There’s often a reason why the breeders aren’t registered and that reason is rarely good. If you can’t even tell the breed of the parents I’m sure you’re missing a lot of other vital information as well. You want to have documented health and mental state of the parents relatives and ancestors for example.

Wether or not an Aussie would fit your lifestyle is hard to say with the limited information but one thing to remember is that it’s a breed that need a lot of mental stimulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts