Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So I have an Australian cattle dog mix who is 6 months old now. Ever since I've had her she has been socialized with other dogs and people. One day all of a sudden it was like she had turned into a different dog... Now she barks and tries to bite people and other dogs. She's become very aggressive and I don't know what to do at this point. I want to teach her that's not ok but am scared to do so because I'm afraid she might attack another or person. Has anyone with a cattle dog ever experienced this? Please help!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I've known some ACDs who were like this. Generally, I think it's a combination of fear and over-stimulation.

How much exercise does she get? Does she get any mental exercise, like obedience, puzzle toys, etc.?

I'd look into finding a positive trainer/behaviorist in your area that specializes with aggression cases. Most aggression is fear, anyway, and it is so important to be totally positive when your dog is afraid as you want to change the way your dog feels as opposed to just punishing the way the dog is behaving.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an 8mos old ACD that I have had for just three weeks now. She is a super lovey girl who loves attention. But every now and then she will growl and bark at people... mostly men who either have on backpacks or have fishing poles (we walk at a lake often). I've read that ACDs are prone to guard, which she has been doing at home in our yard (trying to break her of that as she sets off my other dog and now the neighbor can't grill outside or walk their driveway without being barked at if they happen to be out at the time). I'm wondering if this behavior isn't guarding exemplified... I agree though to enlist the help of a trainer - you want to try and modify that behavior as soon as you can. A fear-aggressive dog is not easy. :(

·
Registered
Gelato, Spumoni, Porcini and Tango
187 Posts
Hi,
So I have an Australian cattle dog mix who is 6 months old now. Ever since I've had her she has been socialized with other dogs and people. One day all of a sudden it was like she had turned into a different dog... Now she barks and tries to bite people and other dogs. She's become very aggressive and I don't know what to do at this point. I want to teach her that's not ok but am scared to do so because I'm afraid she might attack another or person. Has anyone with a cattle dog ever experienced this? Please help!
Yes, I have experienced this. Your dog is overprotective, I'm guessing. Put a muzzle on her AT LEAST for the first training and don't hold her back on the leash or try to react. Just ignore. If that doesn't work, just hire a professional trainer.

·
Registered
Gelato, Spumoni, Porcini and Tango
187 Posts
REMEMBER! It's not too late, you can still help your fur baby! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.