Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attention seeking behaviors

586 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JoanneF 
#1 ·
I have a 1yr old Great Dane that I'm struggling to work on attention seeking behaviors with. It started at 6 months with pawing and pulling clothes and then escalated to full jumping and trying to pull my hair to pull me down. I've tried ignoring and turning/walking away until he sits down but as soon as I look back at him the behavior starts again. If I continue to ignore he just escalates his behavior until you can't ignore him (with his size, especially now, he can do a lot of accidental damage). I've tried stepping on his leash so he can't jump up but then he tries to push me over or paw at me which results in massive bruising on my legs. He doesn't do it inside, only outside and I've tried taking to a trainer who gave suggestions which have not helped. I've also tried increasing the account of exercise he gets but now I don't feel comfortable taking a dog of his size out when there are times I can't control him. I know it's partly my fault because sometimes I do react but when a 190lb dog is jumping on you it's hard to not give attention even if it's negative. He is not my first large dog, or even my first Dane but I have never struggled like this trying to curb these kinds of behaviors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
I'd say work with the behaviour rather than try to curb it. Some people would sell a kidney to have a dog whose attention is focussed on them, rather than bogging off over the horizon to chase an imaginary leaf.

He is probably seeking attention because he is instigating play; so rather than stop it, change the game to something more appropriate. Train him to do things - if he can do sit, down, paw; train spin, cover his eyes, walk backwards hold an object, balance things on his head or nose - I would say the list is endless but one of our favourites is leg weaving and maybe that isn't right for you!

Kikopup on YouTube has some excellent short videos on everything from basic training to tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.