Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all: I have a 3mo old cattle dog who is quick to learn commands, but I'm struggling with one thing: When I go to clip his leash onto his collar, he bites at my hand and squirms around trying to keep me from doing it. I've tried saying "NO" and stopping him, I've also tried holding a treat in my hand so he's distracted and lets me clip it on. The treat method works, but I don't want to have to do this every time I need to attach his leash. Any advice? Thanks for your time

·
Super Moderator
301 Posts
Hi all: I have a 3mo old cattle dog who is quick to learn commands, but I'm struggling with one thing: When I go to clip his leash onto his collar, he bites at my hand and squirms around trying to keep me from doing it. I've tried saying "NO" and stopping him, I've also tried holding a treat in my hand so he's distracted and lets me clip it on. The treat method works, but I don't want to have to do this every time I need to attach his leash. Any advice? Thanks for your time
No means nothing to him. It's just noise.

Imagine someone who speaks a foreign language, holding a vicious looking device and coming towards your face - probably from the side, so they're only in your peripheral vision - with that device. What would you do? You'd probably resist too, wouldn't you? ;)

We know the leash, and particularly the clasp of the leash, is harmless, but your puppy does not. Tie a small peace of ribbon or string to his collar so that he gets used to the weight of it. Clip the leash on, then take it straight off, and yes - continue with the treat.

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 2 of 2 Posts