Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for people who compete in dog sports!

So, Sunday I'm going to what a local training club is calling a "run through" day, where they have courses set up for Rally, Agility and Obedience.

There's nothing mentioned about scores or competition. You pay a certain fee and get either a single or unlimited run throughs in that sport for the day.

Quenya's going for the Rally, and I'd like to take Skipper for the agility--but he can't do weave poles yet, and sometimes backs out on the chute tunnel.

Would it be frowned on for me to take him there and run him over the obstacles he does know so that he can get his feet wet in a low-stress environment? Or are even run-through/practice matches a pretty serious thing?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Run throughs are practice runs. They are full courses. It is not serious there is no scoring or instruction usually. Talk to your instructor and ask if she/he thinks you are ready as a team.
If so go and have fun. Skip the obstacles that are issues right now as you will be working on just the experience of playing agility away from his comfort zone. Watch the other handlers you can learn a lot by watching. By the way love your little guy!

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem at all. That's what fun runs are about. Doing runs with no need for expectations. Also it would help get them use to running in places other then home. Go for it! I wish I would have done more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
We go to run throughs a lot to get abby on some equipment since we haven't been competing lately.

When we first started I would skip certain obstacles like the teeter because that was something we were having trouble with(one day we happened to be sanding near it when another dog was preforming and there was a super loud bang and that scared her and set us back a bit). So yeah skipping should be no problem and at least at the ones we go to training is allowed in the ring and we can use treats/toys etc.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
What a coincidence! We went to a fun-run today too! I agree with everyone else - it's meant to be prep/practice for trials. At our facility we normally have 2 courses, one with the harder obstacles (like weaves/teeter) and one without. Some teams also choose to skip the a-frame/dog-walk if their dogs aren't ready.

I hope you guys had as much fun as we did today :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took him, waited until everyone else was done then tried him through a tunnel, a couple jumps, the teeter (his favorite obstacle since he started training, for some reason), the AFrame, and the tire jump (he'd never seen a real one before, just a mini training one, and it took a bit of work but by the end he was jumping through, albeit from a walk).

He would have gone over the dog walk if I'd asked him but I was just too scared he'd lose his balance and fall. He's only gone about four feet off the ground so far, and the one in the video was regulation height.

Anyway, for the video I only shot us practicing some short sequences with some of the obstacles.

Reactions: jclark343
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.