Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I recently got a 7 week old chihuahua- and I want to put a little sweater on him, to keep him warm. We live in Colorado... so it's not exactly a "warm" climate.

Is 7 weeks too early to put clothes on? He shakes when he's not covered in blankets.

Thanks in advance for your replies. :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's best to start early in life so that the dog is used to the clothes and having people put them on him. If you wait until they're older, they can be ornery about it.

Use treats and stay calm and positive while putting on the clothes. Avoid using force, only gentle guidance. This will make dressing up more of a positive thing rather than punishment.

Do remember that Chi's are dogs, not human babies, and treat them as such when it comes to training. You'll end up with a well behaved pet rather than a biting, yapping and snarling little monster.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Chihuahuas will shake even when not cold..However like bgm said. It is best to start young so they get use to it. I see no harm just be careful of crochet cloths because baby nails and teeth can get hung up in it. :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Start now so he's used to it come fall/winter

·
Banned
101 Posts
you can strat when it is young, as LYNNE Said.

·
Banned
305 Posts
That is fine if he is cold. But don't overdo it, don't put any scarfs, or hats. Remember dogs are related to wolves who obviously don't wear clothes. :) lol

·
Banned
711 Posts
That is fine if he is cold. But don't overdo it, don't put any scarfs, or hats. Remember dogs are related to wolves who obviously don't wear clothes. :) lol
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what "dogs are related to wolves" has to do with wearing clothes... nor why that somehow makes them allergic to scarves and hats.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what "dogs are related to wolves" has to do with wearing clothes... nor why that somehow makes them allergic to scarves and hats.
Same here.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Puplove--- I think I get your comment...the dog can accidently strangle himself on the scarves or hat strings....easy to do and I appreciate your wisdom...I didn't read that dogs were allergic to the clothes....and know you were being humorous about the "wolves not wearing clothes." blurb. I actually smiled when I read it so thank you for the smile!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts