Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have done some research previous to posting, plus I've had dogs my entire life so I know how to potty train but this new puppy is throwing me for a loop.

Zulu is an 11-week old pitweiler, and a joy to have around in every way. Except when it comes to pottying. I've had her for 5 days and she has only peed and pooped outside ONCE. I don't quite know where to start, but here it goes.

She lived with her brothers and sisters in a kennel type pen outdoors in a rural area where the man I bought her from lived. There was no distinct potty area and no previous training. I have already taught her to fetch, sit, give paw, and she comes when I call her (I named her, she was nameless before 5 days ago). I only use treats to reward her good behavior and minimal at that, she seems to be very satisfied with tiny bits as I'm sure she's never had a dog treat before me. I so badly want to reward her for going potty outside but she only gave me the chance to do so once.

She's scared of the outdoors despite having spent all of her time outside before I brought her home. Every noise spooks her and sends her running for the door inside. Early today, she ran because THE WIND BLEW. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood but ANY sound or movement scares her. When there is a long stretch of silence she will relax a bit and go sniffing around but she will not go potty. She holds it until we are inside. I've spent hours out with her to no avail.

I was using the interrupting method (only startling her not scaring her, as I don't want her to be afraid to potty in front of me) but I live on the third floor so it's hard to get her outside quickly. Oh I forgot, she is scared of the stairs. I was able to coax her into going up the stairs but she will not walk down them so I have to carry her. Even though I absolutely don't believe she is afraid of going in front of me, I give her free reign in the back yard to explore and potty. My 2nd and 1st floor neighbor both have dogs that use that area as well so I know it smells enough for her. She sniffs alll around but never squats.

I recently realized she is not willing to potty inside her crate. I thought this was the solution. Leave her in the crate til she really has to go and bring her outside. If she doesn't go out there, back to the crate. Eventually she will not be able to hold it while we are outside. This has totally backfired. She won't go in either place. But she is holding it to the point that when I have to carry her outside, it comes out when I pick her up. I can tell she is not voluntarily going because it is only a little, it is because I put pressure on her bladder when I pick her up.

Please help me with my stubborn little puppy! I've never had this much trouble before and I hate having her crated so much :( it's torture for both of us, I wanna play with her!

·
Registered
945 Posts
She's not stubborn- she's frightened and unsettled in a new environment. If I were you I'd be doing a lot of work with making her comfortable outside, with lots of treats raining down whenever she encounters something scary. She's only been with you less than a week, give her some time to settle and keep on being patient. Keep on taking her out at regular intervals, and that she's drinking. She'll get there eventually :)

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
What about instead of a crate (which can also teach her to go in her crate if left too long!) you have her tethered to you, or in an x-pen?

How often are you taking her outside? The more, short trips the better. Make EVERY time outside a positive thing with treats involved, many tiny pieces. You can even feed meals this way. Every 30 minutes for 5 minutes type of amount of trips will help you a lot if you can do it. She shouldn't have to hold it, ever, while she's learning...you can teach that afterwards.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
You might want to use potty pads to start. That way she will only go on the pad instead of all over your house. I would still encourage her to go out side. This may help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts