Dog Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Haha...that...then today, leaving the hotel room, he comes out with three loud barks, for no reason...nobody, nothing to see, just needed to let out a few pent-up barks. Thanks for following...I'm super excited to have a plan of attack.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Chloe's second class

Tonight was Chloe's second class - we've been doing our homework (can't slack off now!) - loose lead walking, sit-stay, down-stay, recall...probably a total of 30 mins per day actual training, twice on Sat/Sun, hours apart.

If I could get her to quit whining for a toy during 'down' times (instructor talking/demonstrations), she'd be perfect.

Tonight, we started with a sit/stay, on-lead, and had to walk around the dog without them moving. I didn't think she would move at all, but...after 2 mistakes, she got it perfectly for the rest of the exercise, even as a demonstrator with the instructor, after the other dogs were struggling!

Then we did a sit/stay with handler interacting with someone else - perfect (she does this very well on a regular basis now, even @ the pet store).

Afterwards, we moved on to recall...Chloe went NUTS while the other dogs were working on recall...I could NOT get her to sit/stay, down/stay, or even quit whining/barking...she really wanted to play...and we had just gotten done going to the pet store, then to the dog park, then played tug off/on for about 20 mins before class...that dog is a FIREBALL of energy...Anyway, when it was our turn, she ALMOST did perfect - except, there were toys in the middle of the floor - she got about 18 inches away from me, perfectly, then went 180 degrees for the toys...so, we tried again, this time I was ready for the distraction, and started moving away when she *thought* about the toys, and that snapped her out of it. Next 10-15 reps were perfect, AND I started using tug as a reward, on-top of treats. This, she loved.

Final exercise - before we could leave, we had to walk to the door on loose-leash (loads of toys, obstacles in the way), sit-stay at the closed door, and open the door without breaking stay. This one I've got down to a science, because you never know what's on the other side of a hotel door until you open it...so, we've been practicing this one many, many times every day. She got it first try...the other dogs took another 20 mins to get it...open the door a crack, close it. Try again...

So, I put Chloe up in the Jeep and watched them trying...once they all finally left, I went inside and helped clean up...she let her dogs out of their crates...SO well behaved...off-leash, wouldn't roam...tonight she had a viszla and a boxer with her. It was cool to watch. Anyway, we chatted for a while about the class, what can I do differently, blah-blah-blah, then she brought up Sunday, was I interested, would I be able to make it, etc...then we went outside and talked for awhile more, didn't realize how long, it was 11 when I left. Class ends @ 9:30. We've got a LOT to talk about. :D

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
except, there were toys in the middle of the floor - she got about 18 inches away from me, perfectly, then went 180 degrees for the toys...
sorry this made me LOL, I can picture her doing this with a smile. Especially now that I have that "chill fido" image burned in my brain.
:)

So, I put Chloe up in the Jeep and watched them trying...once they all finally left, I went inside and helped clean up...she let her dogs out of their crates...SO well behaved...off-leash, wouldn't roam...tonight she had a viszla and a boxer with her. It was cool to watch. Anyway, we chatted for a while about the class, what can I do differently, blah-blah-blah, then she brought up Sunday, was I interested, would I be able to make it, etc...then we went outside and talked for awhile more, didn't realize how long, it was 11 when I left. Class ends @ 9:30. We've got a LOT to talk about. :D
Oh man, I love Vizlas. They can be a PITA, good thing its a trainers dog. :)

Sounds like you guys really click well. :) It must be refreshing to her to meet som'one that is into training. Alot of people who train their pets aren't really "into" it, if that makes sense.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
sorry this made me LOL, I can picture her doing this with a smile. Especially now that I have that "chill fido" image burned in my brain.
:)
That's ok...it made everybody else there LOL too...and it's a finished concrete floor - polished, so there's not a lot of traction. It was definitely a sight...and I did it all wrong, because I was still saying 'good girl, c'mon' when she was tryin' to bang a youey. (u-turn)

Oh man, I love Vizlas. They can be a PITA, good thing its a trainers dog. :)
They are definitely beautiful dogs...and yes, they are high-energy, very drivey dogs, but she's got them very well finished. She competes in Obedience trials with them...apparently she's pretty good.

Sounds like you guys really click well. :) It must be refreshing to her to meet som'one that is into training. Alot of people who train their pets aren't really "into" it, if that makes sense.
I'm glad I started reading up before I went to class, and heard a lot of what y'all have to say, 'cuz I can actually hold a half-way intelligent conversation with her...(half-way, mind you). She had some pointers for me...sometimes I can be slow on the reward (damn these gigantic hands and tiny little bait bag!), and I usually expect too much on the first go-round, creating small failures / confusion until I re-set and identify the right size chunks to reward...I'm getting it.

The other people in both classes are really kinda half-a$$ing it, which is a shame, their dogs are really trying hard to get it.

I'm just super-glad that there's progress...one of my BIGGEST personality flaws (besides my love for conflict) is lack of patience...in all aspects of my life. I'm the guy who will pay $10 more for something if I can have it NOW than if I have to wait a week. No delayed gratification for me. It's likely my parent's fault. Either them or Ohio. Probably a combination of the both...anyway (tangent?) - if I don't see results, I get discouraged pretty easily, so it's good to see progress - and understanding from my dogs.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
That's ok...it made everybody else there LOL too...and it's a finished concrete floor - polished, so there's not a lot of traction. It was definitely a sight...and I did it all wrong, because I was still saying 'good girl, c'mon' when she was tryin' to bang a youey. (u-turn)
lol, this is part of the reason I fear putting in tile, I can just see slip-slidey-happiness-zoomies resulting in broken bones.

I'm glad I started reading up before I went to class, and heard a lot of what y'all have to say, 'cuz I can actually hold a half-way intelligent conversation with her...(half-way, mind you).

hahah, thats probably part of why she likes talking to you so much, imagine dealing with hundred of clients and they are like "sit? huh?" so it must be refreshing to her.

She had some pointers for me...sometimes I can be slow on the reward (damn these gigantic hands and tiny little bait bag!), and I usually expect too much on the first go-round, creating small failures / confusion until I re-set and identify the right size chunks to reward...I'm getting it.
Its all mechanical skill, once you get it, you forget you have it, until you try and teach som'one else...and your treating and clicking for them before they even know whats happend. It'll come to ya.

The other people in both classes are really kinda half-a$$ing it, which is a shame, their dogs are really trying hard to get it.
yup. I believe it.

I'm just super-glad that there's progress...one of my BIGGEST personality flaws (besides my love for conflict) is lack of patience...in all aspects of my life. I'm the guy who will pay $10 more for something if I can have it NOW than if I have to wait a week. No delayed gratification for me. It's likely my parent's fault. Either them or Ohio. Probably a combination of the both...anyway (tangent?) - if I don't see results, I get discouraged pretty easily, so it's good to see progress - and understanding from my dogs.

[/QUOTE]
I was one of those no patience, frustrated really easy, give up types. And the greatest thing my dogs have taught me is patience. It took a while, but its som'thing no teacher, no friend, no SO, no parent could ever get out of me...but the dogs did. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
A little patience and a LOT of trust...

Some of you have been reading my saga...dogs are doing great, haven't been posting after every class (yeah, it gets as old for me to write about as it does for y'all to read). Thought I'd give an update...

Chloe: Doing GREAT. Obedience class is coming along well, she loves the 1:1 time with me and has really started to bear-down and focus, I can tell in the results. We've been practicing a few nights / week, 1:1, and she's definitely a different dog than she was before we started.

Tonka: Also doing GREAT. He's the least reactive dog in the reactive dog class (there are now 5 of us), but he still goes ape-shit barking crazy when we're out walking and he sees another dog that he can't greet. Kind of embarrassing at the hotel, but oh well. We're working on it, it's tough because it never seems to happen when we go out 1:1, it's always when I'm walking the two of them together, then they escalate off one another, and before you know it, my fuse is all used up.

We even spent an hour outside of PetSmart the other night, not a SINGLE dog walked in or out...ugh!

Anyway, both dogs are also engaging in some off-leash activity, which is a HUGE help, and Tonka is NOT an a-hole out in the field, with just one or two other dogs - which is good. Posting some pics in the 'boonies' thread about today's adventure...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I just read through this whole thread, and I just want to congratulate you on all the work you're doing. I know Tonka will get it one day, and I know how long and hard a process it can be. :) Cannon, my old dog who I ended up rehoming, was one of those go-crazy-at-everything dogs, and it was so challenging taking him anywhere. He flipped out over a floating plastic bag on a walk one day (face-palm). It's also great that you were able to find a trainer who sounds like she knows her stuff.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thank you both...especially for reading through all these posts...there's a bunch of 'em. Glad I can entertain...headed back out hunting in a few...maybe a whole 'nother story this afternoon!

121 - 129 of 129 Posts