Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to start one of these for Aspen since she's starting CGC classes this month. I may be awful at updating it though haha...

Currently, Aspen solidly knows:

-Sit
-Stay
-Come
-Down
-Leave it
-Heel
-Off
-Paw
-Crate
-Place

We're working on building the muscles for a sit pretty.

The area where she needs the most work is interactions with other dogs. She gets WAY too excited when another dog comes around.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our first class was GREAT!

The trainer is excited and happy to be there. Side note: Aspen's Obedience level 1 and 2 trainer was there and was SO happy to see Aspen back. She called the CGC trainer over and said that Aspen is a wonderful dog and we have an amazing partnership- I almost cried haha.

So there are 6 dogs in class, including Aspen. There are 2 Newfies, a big yellow lab (mix?), a little toy poodle and a Boston Terrier. It's a really great group! Aside from myself, there are 2 other handlers who want to do therapy work so I thought that was really great.

Being the first class, we spent the time 'being evaluated' by the trainer. She had us perform basic commands to see how well our dogs knew them. One 'test' she did was to walk up to us and shake hands and the dog couldn't be overly excited or jump. I was concerned because Aspen does get REALLY excited to see people but she was great! She wagged her tail and was happy but totally in control. PROUD MOMMA! ;)

After class, I asked the trainer for some tips on a few minor issues we've been having and she was very helpful.

She gave me the name of a local Pet Partners therapy dog tester and I contacted her after class last night. If everything goes well, Aspen could be a registered therapy dog by summer! :)

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CGC class is canceled this week because the trainer will be in Florida so I've been working on some tricks! This weekend, Aspen learned "spin left"... except she was actually spinning right haha... it was my left and I didn't realize it until after she learned it so I left it alone. I'm phasing out the word and will just be using hand signals so no one will even know ;)

I started shaping "bang" (play dead). She learns SO FAST! This dog is such a joy to work with. I enjoy every single moment with her.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aspen learned to play dead in 10 minutes... I'm constantly amazed at how smart she is. For those of you on my FB, I posted a video there. It needs some cleaning up, but for a 10 minute session, I am happy!

I'm going to try to figure out how to post to YouTube and I'll try to get a video up so I can post a link :) I'll post it here and maybe in the General Forum because I want it to be part of her journal but I also want feedback. Is that okay to have it in two places, mods? @kmes @ZoesMom @zoorun

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I missed last weeks class because I was stuck in a meeting :(

If I'm being 100% honest, this week was INSANE and I really didn't get much opportunity to train.

Class last night... man, this dog makes me look good. I was expecting her to be hyper and slow with her commands since we haven't done much. NOPE! We did "approaching a strange dog", "approaching a friendly stranger" and "leave it" where we had to walk through a bunch of toys scattered on the ground. She gave me perfect eye contact the whole time. I was SO proud!

I think the test is in 3 weeks!

The whole class is filled with a really great group of dogs. The trainer is wonderful. I'm so happy with this facility.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great final CGC class last night. We did a run thru of the test. I'm probably biased, but in my opinion, she was flawless. She did show 'casual interest' in the dog when we did the "greet the stranger with the dog" part. I think if I could have scored her, that's where I would have deducted a few points. Overall, if that were our test, I think she would have passed last night. I think if I tire her out before the test a bit, she probably won't even do that.

I considered sending her for a half day at doggie day care but now I'm thinking that might encourage her to WANT to play with the dog. I think I'll just take her for a long hike, give her a bath and just keep her active all morning. Her test is around 1:30. I'll probably get there early too. I'll practice with her outside and inside (if possible).

Agility tonight! :) I know she needs to learn a lot of groundwork (horse talk) before she learns obstacles, BUT I am so anxious to get to the fun stuff! Haha

Her basic obedience and tricks have really improved. They have gotten really solid. I enjoy training her SO much.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aspen's leg weaves are really improving! :) She almost doesn't need any cue other than me making a bend in my leg. We started working on having her jump through my arms. She got the concept really fast. I stayed low this time and will gradually add the height.

CGC test on Saturday.

Agility was great on Friday but I'll put that in a different thread because I like getting the feedback :)

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've decided to update Aspen's list of commands:

-Sit
-Stay
-Come
-Down
-Leave it
-Heel
-Off
-Paw
-Crate
-Place
-Wait
-Play dead
-Roll over
-Spin left
-Spin right
-Weave (through my legs)
-Back
-Touch

Sit Pretty is SO close but I cannot get her to do it when I remove the lure.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
She knows:
-Sit
-Stay
-Come
-Down
-Leave it
-Drop it
-Heel
-Off
-Paw
-Crate
-Place
-Wait
-Play dead
-Roll over
-Spin left
-Spin right
-Weave (through my legs)
-Back (although we've regressed a bit for some reason)
-Touch
-Peek-a-boo
-Fetch
-Catch frisbee

Working on:
-Sit Pretty (so close)
-Hold
-Cop Cop

Want to teach:
-Hide your face
-Handstand
-Orbit
-Hide in a suitcase
-Crawl
-Jump through circled arms
-Rebounds
-Bow

We're going to be busy this winter :)

I also need to do more impulse control work. She gets REALLY pumped when we do tricks and doesn't always wait to see what I'm asking for.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just updating her list...

She knows:
-Sit
-Stay
-Come
-Down
-Leave it
-Drop it
-Heel
-Off
-Paw
-Crate
-Place
-Wait
-Play dead
-Roll over
-Spin left
-Spin right
-Weave (through my legs)
-Back (working on bringing this back to where it was)
-Touch
-Peek-a-boo
-Fetch
-Catch frisbee
-Sit pretty
-Up up (stand on hind legs)
-Head down
-Backstall

Working on:
-Hold
-Cop Cop (I'm not sure of we'll ever get this because my feet don't turn in enough to hold her feet)
-Hide your face

Want to teach:
-Handstand
-Orbit
-Hide in a suitcase
-Crawl
-Jump through circled arms
-Rebounds
-Bow

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started over with cop cop this morning before work. Previously when I had started it, I was luring. I used to think I was shaping things before I actually knew what shaping was so anything that I've claimed to shape prior to October-ish of 2016 was likely a lure ;)

I belong to some training groups on FB. In one of them, the girl shaped her dog getting on her shoes without them being on her feet. Once the dog was reliably doing that, she put the shoes on. Aspen knows a 'peek-a-boo' command where she comes through my legs from behind so that part was simple.

I started with the shoes off. In less than 2 minutes, she got it. I put the shoes on and asked for a peek-a-boo. From there, I asked for paws up (on my shoes). The only issue I'm having is that she puts both front paws on one shoe. If you have any tips on this, please PM me (or start a thread and tag me!). All in all, for a session that lasted less than 10 minutes, I'm very pleased!

And when she is up on my foot, looking up at me... she is SO cute! I'm like, "here, have all the treats!!" :)

I'll try to get a video tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Started teaching Aspen how to close a door. I used a sticky note and had her target it. She obviously got that quickly. I'm trying to figure out how to get her to push the door though. She touches it very lightly so it's not enough to actually move the door.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts