Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frisbee came in on Friday! As soon as I got home from work, I introduced it. Between Friday and Saturday, I did a few 5 minute sessions of me holding the frisbee and telling Aspen to "fetch". When she puts her mouth on the disc, I reward.

She was reliably taking it and getting bored.

On Sunday, I started rolling it on the kitchen floor. It poured all day so we were confined to the house. The first time I rolled it, she looked at me like, "So?". The next time, I jumped around and shook it and got her really pumped about it, rolled it and she bounded after it. We did a few sessions like this on Sunday and Monday. Below are some photos - blurry - from the kitchen session.

I feel like she's picking it up quickly but I may be biased ;)

QUESTION: do I continue with these for a week? A month? What's my next step? Am I doing this all wrong? Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I always keep rollers in my arsenal and will occasionally use them to reward other stuff. A roller's low, fast, and away really triggers a pup's WANT!

I'd stick with rollers until the desire for the disc is at the level that you want. I go for bouncy feet excitement.

After discs, I move to takes to let the pup figure out the best way to approach and grab a disc. I'll just kneel on the floor and hold the disc in random positions or angles and give my take cue.

From there, I'll move to short tosses away from the dog and gradually increase the distance. Just make sure that the disc is always away/in front of the dog. Discs coming right at the dog is a very unnatural behavior that can really put off some dogs. The best way I've heard it put is that there are no suicidal squirrels. Prey always moves away from the mouth.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few videos from last night... I'm pretty proud of her :)

I kept the throws short and fast. I let her run a bit with the frisbee to keep everything fun and not work.

It's really hard to throw the disc and video haha

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yeah, videoing and throwing at the same time is a PITA. I like doing the first step in a bedo drill (so disc on pec and snap out and kick back) and filming with the other hand. It makes it a bit easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts