Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going to start this thread now :)

Friday was our second class and we had SO much fun!

I found Aspen's drive! It's not playing tug (although she loves playing that at home)- it's doing tricks! When we were waiting our turn, I would practice her tricks that she knows and she got so excited and fired up.

We practiced "touch" and she did have improvement there so I was happy.

Next, we used a ladder (not sure if that's the right term) and we walked our dogs through it and eventually backing up through it. Walking through it was totally fine but I was impressed with how quickly Aspen got comfortable backing through it. By the second attempt, she was backing straight.

There is a more advanced dog in the class and she uses that team to show us what our 'simple' moves are working towards. So she set up a low, half of a dog walk leading to a table top. She had us each lure our dog up and back down. Man, that thing is skinny! Haha. Again, I was so impressed with Aspen. She has never seen that before and she happily walked up, turned around and walked down.

Our final exercise was to practice lead outs. We used the tunnel, which Aspen has never done. I wasn't sure if she would go through it or just run to me, honestly. So she sat about a foot or so away from the tunnel, I walked about halfway up the tunnel and released her. She ran right through the damn tunnel like she knew exactly what to do! I could not believe it! Maybe that's normal but I was happy haha

I can't even explain how much this dog loves to work. I think we could train for 2 hours straight and she wouldn't get bored. She makes everything fun :)

I know this is the only agility experience that I have but I really like this instructor. She is patient and fun. She explains things well. Although it's my second class, it's actually the fourth class of the session. I like how she incorporates the 'groundwork' in the beginning and slowly introduces obstacles. I'll call them 'level 1 obstacles'. For example, the tunnel... she shortened it up and made sure it was straight. The dog walk was low and just a third of it.

I've decided that I definitely want to compete, if Aspen keeps liking it. If she starts to dislike it, I won't force her. I'm signing up for the next session this week.

As always, I love feedback. :) I may not be describing things well so if something seems weird, I'll explain it more haha

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trainer! I also like that she has a more advanced dog that can show you what you are working on now and what it will lead into. I remember my first class thinking man this is useless and now I realize just how important some of those first steps were!

Yay for drive! She loves to work and that is going to make agility a blast!

Have you measure her yet? I wonder what she will be jumping? Do you have AKC trials around you? Or another type?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like seeing the advanced dog too. It makes the boring things so much more meaningful. I think the advanced dog does private lessons. The owner isn't very friendly haha.

I haven't measured her. We haven't done any jumping at all. We haven't done any work the poles or anything yet- I'm assuming that's the next session.

These trials are in my town! Literally, 5 minutes from my house :)
Wide World of Indoor Sports | Addicted to Agility

I'm thinking about going to watch the June 4-5 one.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
NADAC? I've never heard of them! The place sounds awesome though. I'm wicked jealous. Plus being 5 minutes from your house is very nice. I would totally go watch. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, definitely go watch trials. You may want to watch several different types of organizations - like AKC, USDAA, NADAC, CPE, etc. Each has something different to offer. I am glad you hare having fun and like your instructor!! Yay!!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another great class on Friday night! We worked on 2o2o concepts. The trainer gave us some exercises to practice at home which was helpful.

I'll miss class this week because I'm going to Virginia from Weds-Sun to see my sister and nieces :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts