Which dog breed sheds less

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post on dog forum, apologies in advance if this post is lengthy. I would like to ask for some advice/suggestions regarding dog breeds because I am about to embark on the journey of raising a new puppy into a loving companion.

Here are a few details about my situation: My husband and I share a home with his grandparents, though they technically own the house, it is just as much our home as it is theirs. His grandparents own a 6 year old male maltese named Boudreaux; he is very sweet, loving, and playful. My husband and I do have a bond with their dog, but that's just it: he is their dog. We want a pet of our own to care for and love, one that sleeps in our room and depends on us.

With that being said, we are having a difficult time finding a suitable breed for us. I want to state clearly that we love and respect all animals equally, however we have a specific idea of the type of dog that we want. We have done a good bit of research on this subject, and what we have come up with is we really want a mixed breed, I suppose what you would call a "designer breed". To be even more specific, we would like a Pomimo (eskimo&pom mix), a Papimo (papillon & eskimo mix), a Paperanian (papillon & pom mix), or similar breed mixes.

Now here's where our need for advice comes in: A) we need a dog that is small, similar in size to a maltese, a little bigger or smaller is fine. B) we need a dog that will get along with Boudreaux. C) We need a dog with only moderate shedding, if that's possible with our preferences. *The reason why shedding could be a problem is only because we share a house with other people who would prefer not to have hair everywhere. Hubs and I are more than willing to put in the work to control shedding if it is moderate, but we still have to think about our housemates.

The thing is, all of the breeds we have found that we want shed. We really don't care to have another maltese/yorkie/or any other short/wiry haired breed, that's not to say we wouldn't love them, we just wouldn't prefer it.

To sum this all up before it gets any longer, my main questions are:

1. Are there any other breeds/mixes which are very similar to the ones we have described to consider? Suggestions are much appreciated.

2. Would the breeds we are pursuing be suitable to live with a maltese?

3. What's the best way to locate a specific breed of dog? We've had a bit of trouble trying to find what we're looking for.

4. We would also like some advice on general care/maintenance pertaining to long haired dogs, particularly the shedding issue.

Again, I apologize rambling on, I wanted to be thorough with my post to get precise information. I'm happy to have finally found a community full of experienced individuals, any advice offered is so much appreciated. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum!

Since you're open to a mixed breed, I might encourage you to consider adopting from a rescue group. Last February, I adopted a wonderful Pekingese-Cocker Spaniel mix from a local Pekingese rescue. Because he had been cared for in a foster home, I already knew a great deal about his temperament, energy level, and health before I ever met him. He and I bonded quite instantaneously. And since he's already an adult dog, I didn't have to deal with house training or any destructive behavior. I took him home for a trial period, and it all worked out beautifully.

I'd suggest researching rescue groups in your state. I had been following this particular rescue group on FB for some time before I contacted them, so I had a sense of how they cared for their foster dogs and what they were looking for in adopters. If I ever adopt again, it will be through them.

To be honest, anyone advertising a Pomimo, a Papimo, or a Paperanian for sale will be a backyard breeder or a front for a puppy mill. You'll be charged an enormous amount of money for a mixed breed. It's really a scam. I'd suggest reading these two threads:

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Dog Forum!

Since you're open to a mixed breed, I might encourage you to consider adopting from a rescue group. Last February, I adopted a wonderful Pekingese-Cocker Spaniel mix from a local Pekingese rescue. Because he had been cared for in a foster home, I already knew a great deal about his temperament, energy level, and health before I ever met him. He and I bonded quite instantaneously. And since he's already an adult dog, I didn't have to deal with house training or any destructive behavior. I took him home for a trial period, and it all worked out beautifully.

I'd suggest researching rescue groups in your state. I had been following this particular rescue group on FB for some time before I contacted them, so I had a sense of how they cared for their foster dogs and what they were looking for in adopters. If I ever adopt again, it will be through them.

To be honest, anyone advertising a Pomimo, a Papimo, or a Paperanian for sale will be a backyard breeder or a front for a puppy mill. You'll be charged an enormous amount of money for a mixed breed. It's really a scam. I'd suggest reading these two threads:

Good luck!
Thank you so much! That's a lot of very valuable information, and I really needed to know everything in those posts. I really appreciate your reply! This will help immensly with making our decision. (y):giggle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The American Kennel Club (AKC) and other organizations provide you online assessment tools that you can use to find out appropriate dog breeds for your lifestyle or for your kids. You need to fill out a questionnaire and will then be matched with a variety of dogs.

If you have never previously adopted a dog, you might wonder how the process works? How long is this going to take? How much is it costing? Check the Procedures for adopting a puppy it will help you choose the right puppy for your home & life style

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would absolutely discourage you from getting a mix breed or “designer” breed. These breeders often breed for money and looks. A serious breeder of pure bred dogs, who has documented health status on the puppy’s parents and relatives, a breeder who breeds to improve the breed, is what I highly recommend. Not choosing a serious breeder can lead to you buying a sick puppy, a puppy who has or will get physical and/or mental problems. If you really want a mix breed (why though?) you should look at dogs who needs a new home, not buying from a breeder and support this bad breeding.

There is a lot to consider before getting a dog and where to get it from. You don’t want to accidentally support disgusting industries such as puppy mills, overbreeding or just poor backyard breeders. I don’t know where you live but by from a breeder who is a part of your country’s kennel club, who has pedigrees on their dogs. Don’t get overbred dogs such as pugs etc. Go visit the breeder and the puppies in their home, meet the mother of the dogs, ask a lot of questions. If something doesn’t feel right or serious, don’t buy from that breeder.

To recommend other breeds I need to know what you want and what you can offer. How much exercise and activity will the dog get? How long walks will the dog get every day? What mental stimulation will you provide for the dog? Other activities? How will a normal week look for the dog?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize for neglecting to reply sooner, but I wanted to thank everyone for all of the advice and information. You all really helped me with my decision, to decide what is best not only for me, but for the animals. I took very seriously your recommendation to avoid potential puppy-mill type places, and I decided to adopt a dog. Even though I wanted a puppy, I realized that it didn't matter to me the age of the dog, it meant more to me to give a dog a good home and surround him/her with love and security.

I knew that I had wanted a very specific type of dog, and thanks to all of you I also knew that finding that kind of dog would mean potentially supporting an inhumane operation. So I began to check local shelters for my perfect match. I decided to wait patiently to find a dog, rather than act impulsively and risk bringing home a dog that isn't right for my household. My patience was rewarded. I found a 3 year old female Papillon mix, and after meeting her I knew instantly she was the one. I am not sure what she is mixed with, but my best guess is Daschund. She fits perfectly into our little family, even bonding with my 6 year old male Maltese. We are still in the adjustment period, but she has already become my little girl. Again, I thank all of you for educating me and helping me make this decision. You all helped save Bayleigh's life, and I'm so thankful I came here to ask for help.
20200127_133044.jpg
20200127_191211.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Bayleigh is beautiful. What a wonderful conclusion to your search for a new companion and an awesome beginning to your new life together! Thank you so much for coming back and updating your thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts