Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
WOW This post must have gotten buried :)

Uh

The conclusions, therefore are, that being trained
is stressful, that receiving shocks is a painful experience to dogs, and that the S-dogs evidently have
learned that the presence of their owner (or his commands) announces reception of shocks, even
outside of the normal training context. This suggests that the welfare of these shocked dogs is at stake,
at least in the presence of their owner.
Huh...sounds bad...
I can't see anything really wrong with their methods which could discount the study...

Conclusions

we
conclude that:
(1) shocked dogs are more stressed than control dogs on the training grounds;
(2) shocked dogs are also more stressed than control dogs in the park;
(3) shocked dogs connect their handlers with getting shocks;​
(4) shocked dogs may also connect orders given by their handlers with getting shocked.

We concluded that shocks received during training are not only unpleasant but also painful​
and frightening

To counter misuse of the shock collar, it is proposed
to ban its use for “sports”, but save it for therapeutic applications, such as for suppressing​
hunting and killing sheep.
I dunno Crio. I think this study really shows that they shouldn't be using them. Besides fear and pain, it caused them to associate that with training and handlers-things we as dog owners never want...

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Besides fear and pain, it caused them to associate that with training and handlers
thats my conclusion as well... the times I have used e collars I made sure I was no where around. To me its very important the dog associated the correction with its behavior, not the enviroment or the handler...tricky tricky stuff.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Totally -one of those things they should IQ test you for before you can buy it...wouldn't want someoen using one willy nillly. (Did I just say willy nilly...)

Totally different boat then a vibrating collar though am I right? We were thinking of getting one for Mandy now that she can't hear anymore.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
K good-thought I'd check with the expert first :) :)

We thought it would be a good way to get her attention. I've been stomping, but being a husky she doesn't always pay attention to that :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol being a husky she may not pay attention to anything short of a tornado....

hahah...but yeah, if it happens let me know how it goes...Tippy is half/deaf.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
lol being a husky she may not pay attention to anything short of a tornado....
hahah so true-they'll pay attention to weird things, like birds in the sky, decorations in windows, and new stuff in the house...but not what you want them to pay attention to!
She actually has always turned her head away to ignore commands when in a mood :p
I will let you know how it goes!!

·
Banned
557 Posts
I do not like E collars.. Its a forced cheap fix- in most cases. I understand the use but I do not endorse or use or recommend them. My sister is also a trainer and only in some circumstances- like car chasing etc but then frankly- there is usually another way. I wont say anymore and bow out of the thread.

·
Registered
898 Posts
We had to use one on Tasha once. When she was in that nip/bite stage. We lived (still do live) with a 97 year old and she was biting hard enough to draw blood. So we used it the second before she bit. Unfortunately she's in love with water and noise doesn't phase her so we had to switch to that. The elderly man was not related to us so if she bit him that would have been VERY bad. Not to mention he doesn't need to lose anymore blood! Him and her are absolutely best friends now though. She sits with him on the outdoor swing and gets a good petting while rocking back and forth, lol.

If we didn't live with him I think I would of chose a different method though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have used it a couple times with my dog. She bites pretty hard. I use it only as a warning to stop, but not for training. I don't want her to be scared of me when I train her! But when she bites like that, I guess it's really only for the best. I try very hard not to overuse it, and she barely ever wears the e collar. I am personally really against it, but I don't want my dog's biting to turn into agression.

·
Registered
155 Posts
haha When I saw e collar I thought you were talking about the e-collars like, Elizabethan collars or the cone collars to keep them from licking wounds.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hahah...yeah...one time there was a thread and the lady was like "my dog is sick so I put an e collar on him and he is thrashes around when I use it"

I about had a heart attack when I realized she meant an eliz- collar LOL

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
hahah...yeah...one time there was a thread and the lady was like "my dog is sick so I put an e collar on him and he is thrashes around when I use it"

I about had a heart attack when I realized she meant an eliz- collar LOL
omg :rofl:i didn't get it at first...i never heard of elizabethan collar....i always just heard "cone thing" seriously...the first few times i read it, i was like:eek::eek::eek:

i can just imagine....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
I know how you feel Crystal- I have made the same mistake on forums also. Thinking one was the other collar due to the abbrev.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts