Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!!

Mandy-my parents dog, who seems to always be at the vets (I think she has her own suite there. She has had cancer, and since the treatment multiple little things. Plus she's elderly now, so she usually sees the vet about once a month for something) has been diagnosed with severe arthritis in her front arm.

She is getting an injection a week for four weeks of a lubricant. She is on Synovi G (However the vet thought the company is discontinuing the Synovi G...so that may be an issue) and after the injections are over, she will be getting acupuncture.

So my question is-for those of you with senior or arthritic dogs-do you have any tips, tricks, treatments, suggestions-Anything that worked I'd love to hear it!!!

I am thinking about going over to put her in the bath (she can't get in anymore it's high sided, and my parent's can't lift her) and giving her a soak once a week in a nice tub -maybe some epsom salts too?

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
When I was a kid we had a Black Lab that had Arthritis, and the beginning stages of hip displasia (sp). Our Vet at that time told us to give her half an aspirin when she was feeling pain. Now people tell me that this can be bad for dogs. Dutchess (My first Lab) was given a half an Aspirin about every 2 days for almost 8 years before the hip displasia was so bad we had to have her put to sleep (I still miss that girl). I have minor arthritis and Aspirin helps me when I am in pain and it reduces the swelling in my hands. I am not recommending it, because I am not sure if it is harmful or not. I am just bringing it up because it eased my first protectors pain, and was recommended by the Vet we had at the time. You may want to ask your Vet about it, because this was in the 80's, and we all know that things change with time, and research.

·
Banned
556 Posts
I used Missing link plus ( ie for arthritus) and shark cartiledge. I use a half table shark cartiledge twice a day for a dog over 50 pounds. It really helps alot!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!!!

Gloucosamine is what the pet people that seem to be "in the know" recommend for arthritis
She's on some-it's in the 'synovi G' cookies she's getting-though it sounds that they are going to be discontinuted :( Booo. Thats an easy way to give dogs glucosamine!

Our Vet at that time told us to give her half an aspirin when she was feeling pain. Now people tell me that this can be bad for dogs.
Actually aspirin is the 'at home' nsaid you can give-your vet was right. Tylenol is NOT ok for dogs
(I remember like this, kids can't have aspirin, dogs can't have tylenol ;) )
Doses have to be under 80mg, but aspirin is certainly something that can be given-under vet advice and supervision. :)
Mandy is on a drug a little stronger then Metacam now (metacam is common liquid nsaid given after vet surgery-it's very similar to ibuprofen) so she's on pain meds.

I used Missing link plus ( ie for arthritus) and shark cartiledge. I use a half table shark cartiledge twice a day for a dog over 50 pounds. It really helps alot!
Thanks! The shark cartiledge sounds really neat! I'll have to check those both out and pass that on to our vet :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts