Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Dog is about 10 years old and very recently has started showing some weird signs that we are confused about.

The past few days she has been having a lot of difficulty getting up after laying down or being seated for a long period of time. The first time it happened she woke up up screaming and crying at 5 am. We thought she had to use the bathroom but noticed she was limping and her back legs were very stiff (one more than the other) we took her out and then took her to the vet that same day.

They did an exam on her and didn't find any tenderness or anything but it has happened again a few times since then. Its always after shes been laying down and tries to get up suddenly. We have done some googling and think it might be arthritis because of her age.

Has anyone else had a dog go through this before? if so what did you do to help her, is there any medication we can have her on so it doesn't hurt or is this just her life from now on. We have tried to encourage her to get up slowly and that seems to help but if she wants to get up in the middle of the night while were sleeping there's not much we can do.

Any constructive advise is welcome and appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Joint suppliments did wonders for my bad arthritic knees, my mom who was disabled from severe arthritis, my last old dog who started loudly yelping in pain and gave my old horse several more years of comfortable riding.
Advanced Cosequin was great for my last dog. Ideally you want a suppliment that has all four of the ingredients msm, glucosamine, chondroitin and hydraluronic acid (not sure if I spelled that right). Some ingredients make more of a difference for some dogs than others that's why it's best to have all four. Fish oil in addition to the joint suppliments can also be helpful.
Your dog should stay on the suppliments for at least one to two months to see if they're going to help or not, as they can take several weeks to kick in.
Pain meds are also good but all of them have some side effects that eventually risk some major organ. Not the joint suppliments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were x-rays taken??? Please consult your vet for appropriate pain medication..
No x-rays were taken because when we went to the vet she wasn't limping or crying. The Vet did a full physical exam where she felt her stomach legs etc for signs of anything and came up with nothing. The problem is it only happens sometimes and only when she has been laying in the same position for a long period of time (like over night) so when we went that day she seemed fine.

The doctor basically said come back if it keeps happening or gets worse but I don't want to wait for it to get worse if there is something I can do now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joint suppliments did wonders for my bad arthritic knees, my mom who was disabled from severe arthritis, my last old dog who started loudly yelping in pain and gave my old horse several more years of comfortable riding.
Advanced Cosequin was great for my last dog. Ideally you want a suppliment that has all four of the ingredients msm, glucosamine, chondroitin and hydraluronic acid (not sure if I spelled that right). Some ingredients make more of a difference for some dogs than others that's why it's best to have all four. Fish oil in addition to the joint suppliments can also be helpful.
Your dog should stay on the suppliments for at least one to two months to see if they're going to help or not, as they can take several weeks to kick in.
Pain meds are also good but all of them have some side effects that eventually risk some major organ. Not the joint suppliments.
Thank you! This is very helpful. I will look into all of these. Are these supplements found a any of the big box pet stores or would it be best to purchase them online?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You're welcome. They're cheaper online, especially the Cosequin. I don't know if pet stores have as great a selection. I give my current young dog wild salmon fish oil for his coat and to prevent joint issues and there's not a good selection and it's much more expensive than on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
X-rays would show if there is arthritis present, or if its hip dysplasia. Its also possible there could be some spinal involvement, but to know, your Vet is going to have to do a though exam, including X-rays, IMO. Once you have a diagnoses, you and your Vet can better decide on the most effective treatment plan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
X-rays would show if there is arthritis present, or if its hip dysplasia. Its also possible there could be some spinal involvement, but to know, your Vet is going to have to do a though exam, including X-rays, IMO. Once you have a diagnoses, you and your Vet can better decide on the most effective treatment plan.
This is what I was going to say.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts