Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone help me with suggestions for painkillers for my dog who is suffering with joint pain in her back leg? Her brother (sadly no longer with us) had the same problem. I've now seen 3 vets about this and they are not very sympathetic. They take the view that pain is not important as long as the cause is not life threatening (A good many Bulgarians still have teeth extracted without pain relief, because it's cheaper, so you can see where the thinking comes from). But I don't want my dog to suffer if there's something I can give her which will help.

She doesn't have this problem all the time, it's mostly in wet weather. She's 9 years old now, a medium sized dog of unknown mixed breeds, I'm guessing her life expectancy to be around 11-12. She's otherwise healthy.

I'm hoping someone can suggest something i can give her on the bad days, as I don't want her to spend her last few years in unnecessary pain.

Thanks for reading

Lynsey

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no cure for arthritis, just meds. Anti-inflammatories can help, such as Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements. There are many natural anti-inflammatory foods such as the spice turmeric. This is very spicy, though, so you don't want to give too much. I used to mix in a little bit with my dog's food and it seemed to help. He had arthritis. A vet should have some other medical remedies such as a steroid shot or painkillers. It's horrible that they want your doggy to suffer. I would say, call around until you find one that will give him the meds. Or at the very least, ask if they can prescribe an NSAID (don't give your dog a regular human dosage as that can kill them).

·
Registered
368 Posts
You might consider having the problem diagnosed, too, if that has not been done yet (arthritis is a diagnosis by radiology (aka x-rays)). If there is arthritis, it will show up on the rads. If there is no indication of arthritis, there may be another problem, which may require a different method of treatment (back pain, neurologic degeneration, a collapsing disc space, a muscular atrophy condition, bursitis, muscle injury etc. all may be treated differently).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts