Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After debating between an Aussie and a Spoo I decided that a Standard Poodle would be better for my clean house needs. I've heard some pretty great things about Arreau, but I live in the States and they're Canada-based. Does anyone have any suggestions on breeders in the states (I've never gotten a dog from a breeder, and shipping from Canada seems really stressful.) Anyone have an Arreau dog and think that it (the shipping) was worth it? Any advice is welcome here!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
There aren't a ton of standards on here to my knowledge, and even less of us poor Canadians, so I'm doubtful anyone has a Poodle from that particular breeder. Which State are you in?
When looking into breeders, I always recommend going to a dog show, either an all-breed or a Poodle specialty. Check out the dogs there, does one particular breeder have dogs that seem to draw your eye? See who has the kind of temperament you'd kill for in an adult dog. Then walk up and find out about them (you'll probably want to wait until after they come out of the ring - shows are stressful!).

Other options are to check out AKC website breeders or the Poodle Club of America website.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I'm in the Sunshine State (Florida). However, taking a flight doesn't bother me, as I'm really not interested in any of the Poodle breeders nearest here. I tend to run far, far away from breeders who only register AKC. I'm probably being way too picky for my own good, but, you could breed siblings and register a little. As long as they're both purebreds..

I didn't actually think about dog shows, however, should I still go if conformation isn't my big thing? Forever in love with agility...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Currently I'm in the Sunshine State (Florida). However, taking a flight doesn't bother me, as I'm really not interested in any of the Poodle breeders nearest here. I tend to run far, far away from breeders who only register AKC. I'm probably being way too picky for my own good, but, you could breed siblings and register a little. As long as they're both purebreds..

I didn't actually think about dog shows, however, should I still go if conformation isn't my big thing? Forever in love with agility...
And you don't want an Aussie!? ;)

A lot of people with purebreds do multiple dog sports or shows, so seeing dogs at conformation doesn't necessarily exclude them from agility, after all Poodles ARE retrievers, despite their awesome haircuts.

Other options are to go to agility events and look for poodles! @jclark343 - you're in Florida, ever see any poodles at your agility trials? :)

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never actually seen an Aussie actually working (Again, Stepmoms Aussie wasn't active at all. She followed her everywhere, but that was it.) So I've no idea what to expect, do they bite heels? How exactly do they try to "herd" you? I just have SOOO many questions, it's easier to go with the Spunky Spoo (As much as it sounds like I haven't researched the likes of either of them, I have. Exensively.)

In my local area I don't think there are any dog shows?? Lots of horses. But dog shows? I'd have to take a 6 hour trip to Orlando.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@AmoraAndCounting - Aussies can be a little mouthy, but I think they are way less nippy than BCs or ACDs.
I'm not sure how much you know about herding, but there are several different "styles" of herding breeds. There are three main ones that I think of; Gathering, Driving, and tending.
Gathering dogs, like Border Collies, are silent, and use their "eye" to stare down the stock and intimidate them into moving, they also keep them in a group. Driving herders, like Aussies, are used to move animals across distances or into pens/chutes. They sometimes bark, and move with a more upright head. Dogs like ACDs and Corgis are also drivers and bite frequently. Finally tenders are dogs like the GSD (although rarely used for herding anymore), who act more as a "living fence" to keep the sheep from going anywhere.
Aussies tend to "herd" by circling to go behind you. If I walk in a straight line across a field, my Aussie will travel in the same direction as me, but do large circles around me the whole time. :p

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@AmoraAndCounting, I actually do have a lady that only runs poodles on one of my agility teams. They are GREAT agility dogs. Seriously. High energy, smart, and FAST all while not shedding (That is a MAJOR plus considering I am use to my aussie who seems to blow his coat every week). Poodles are extremely versatile too. Obedience, Agility, Dock Diving, Duck Hunting, Rally, Etc. Really the sky is the limit.

6 hours to Orlando for a show? Where do you live? I live about 2 hours south of Orlando and we have shows almost every weekend during season. Palmetto, Arcadia, Fort Pierce. Then yearly (you just missed it) there is the LARGE one in Orlando (DACOF) and those are just AKC shows. West Palm has CPE shows I believe (I really only show AKC). They aren't really publicized, but if you check out this website for the Florida Agility Calendar you can see what might be near you. (Barring you're in South Florida).

I imagine in this state there are a TON of reputable poodle breeders. I had to check, the women I have run with in the past got her last poodle from Louter Creek Red Hunting Poodles. They are in Georgia.
Louter Creek Red Hunting Poodles

Also, as far as steering away from AKC, all registries allow line breeding (breeding related dogs). It's not as frowned upon in breeding animals as it is in people. The biggest thing to look for in a breeder is making sure that they test for genetic problems. Hips, Eyes, Elbows, Etc. Also, since you're looking for a dog to do sports with (which is exciting) you'll want to find a breeder that has dogs successfully competing in the sport or similar sports that you are interested in.

Poodles are great working dog, and once people get past the stigma of their look (which is only if you trim them that way) they are really great dogs. Smart, hard working and usually have a ton of drive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Shandula stopppp you're going to make me want an Aussie too. But now I'm curious, how adaptable are they (Military family. A dog who can't handle diversity and moving (Like a borzoi) wouldn't stand a chance here. And how would you describe their willingness to please/learn? I hear Goldens would turn themselves inside out for appraisal.. Wish Amora cared that much about anything ?

@Jclark343, Yeah I'm up in Northwest Florida, roughly 6-7 hours from Orlando, ever heard of Pensacola or Destin? I'm plopped right between them.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@AmoraAndCounting - Well @jclark343 and I are a little biased, since we have awesome Aussies. :p

My Aussie has moved houses, three times, two different cities, and once for three weeks in a hotel. He stresses for a couple of days, sometimes a week and then once he sees "his" stuff unpacked and in the house, he's fine. Levi loves learning, we train for 30-45 minutes every day (not at all once, I'm not a tyrant!). He doesn't like to be wrong, so we do work on that. And I have to be very careful about getting frustrated because he will totally shut down. But teaching them things are easy!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@AmoraAndCounting, Oh I've been up that way. Don't know about trials up there but I am sure there are some. Maybe check with a local agility club? They can usually tell you where the closest one is (as many of their people tend to be going. Lol). Also I don't know how far you are from Georgia, but the Agility Nationals are going to be in Perry, Georgia this year. Going to be a HUGE turnout and some of the best in the country. March 2017.

I agree with @Shandula, Aussies are amazing dogs. Mine is a little different from hers in mine is more reserved with strangers. I don't think Forbes would do well if we moved around a lot. He does not like changes in his environment or anything he can not comprehend. I am sure with everything though you can work through it. He is SMART. Picks up on things quick, and really wants to please. Not to mention he is a comedian.

The only reason I would suggest a poodle over an aussie is you mentioned something about having high cleaning habits. Aussies Shed. A LOT. Seriously, I have no idea how my dog has hair left on his body. I could vacuum daily and still see hair floating through the house. If you like the house really clean that may bother you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DH is DEAD SET on getting two field goldens (He has really find memories of a friend's golden, and I have really fond memories of Spoos and we've both wanted those two breeds for years upon years, so I'm losing hope on a clean house. Amora's a lab mix, so she already sheds like there's no tomorrow. Ah, but a girl can dream. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Spoos handle moving well? Ive looked and looked, but I haven't found anything yet on how they handle moving. Also, how well do Aussies fare with water? Me and DH's family are both based in Northwest Florida, and this Florida girl can't live without the Emerald Coast, so I'm thinking, family vacation to the prettiest beaches stateside??

ETA: Ive come to a conclusion: I'm getting both. Not at one time, probably a few years apart, but, I cannot decide between the two because they are both absolutely phenomenal breeds, which speak to both sides of my complex personality.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi loves puddles and swimming. We call him Levi the Loch Ness Monster. Seriously I vacuumed this morning, and a huge pile of hair just blew by me in the breeze. How? HOW?!

I will probably always have an Aussie - my husband loves Levi. Heidi is...different. A little more on all the time, a little harder to work with in some ways, but I love her. :p

Edit: Levi is a "show dog", he even has a fancy CKC name. :eyeroll: My next one honestly, will probably come from a working farm, if I can find them. Working Aussies are difficult to find here in Canada...

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Can I ask why you're wanting to "switch" from show to working?
I like the look of working dogs better, less coat, more muscle. I also like a dog with heavy drive. I work as a dog trainer and am home all day with my dogs, so I can deal with the exercise and mental stimulation.

Plus, I like the idea of keeping true to the dog's purpose. I think herding breeds should be able to herd. I'm not a big fan of kennel clubs that are all about looks and less about function.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Forbes is from a "show" line. He was the pick of the litter and was suppose to be the breeder's confirmation dog, but his white extends SLIGHTLY past his withers on his back so he isn't correct. His father also did agility and other things, but succeeded the best in confirmation.

I would also probably look more for a working aussie next, especially if I have more time to spend with him. Working lines usually have more drive, more energy, and less coat. Forbes has a FULL aussie coat that would do him wonders in confirmation, but when he is working he tires really fast (I live in HOT south Florida. Poor guy). I'm a slacker and haven't taken my dogs to the beach because 1) I don't go very often, and 2) I DREAD having to put sandy dirty dogs in my car. I have heard that aussies do great at the beach. The only think I imagine is you have to rinse them well to get the salt water out from their coat.

Honestly, as far as moving, I think any dog is going to have a slight level of stress, but I think if you keep it in mind and try to prevent it, they should eventually adjust.

Does your husband hunt? Is that why he wants field goldens? I have a teammate that has a field lab that she hunts with (and does agility, obedience, rally, dock diving, and many other things with) and that dog's energy is at a whole different level. Like puts almost every border collie I've met to shame. He is 7 years old and is OFF the wall. Well trained but crazy hyper. I can only imagine 2 would drive a person NUTS.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I wouldn't get a dog from Arreau.

Other than AKC and UKC in the US other registries are far less reputable. And with any breeder you'd want to investigate their breeding practices thoroughly.

If you're interested in recommendations for other spoo breeders, I'd be happy to offer suggestions but they do register with AKC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@jclarke343, No, he prefers to exercise or relax in the house in his off time (He's a Navy Corpsman, while not the MOST demanding job, it's far from the easiest or least stressful.) He just wanted a golden and after hearing why he wanted one (I thrive on researching and he doesn't have the time.) We decided a field golden would be better (higher drive, less coat, generally healthier.)
The reason I was concerned with adaptability because climates will change inevitably, but also, I didn't know if Borzoi's were the only breed who can't handle change. I think they are tho..

@Cookieface Yes, please do! I'm open to suggestions and explanations!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@AmoraAndCounting, eh if your husband isn't really the most ACTIVE person (long runs every day. Hours of training) anything field bred wouldn't be a fit. Field bred usually need a job. Maybe you're thinking you're looking for more American line goldens which are slimmer, darker, and usually have less coat compared to English bred goldens which are shorter, thicker, and lighter? I know that's not even an option right now but really, I highly consider you meet a few true field bred goldens before deciding on one. It's going to need a job.

I've never heard that about the borzoi, to me any animal is versatile. If you move to colder weather then the dog just might require a coat and booties if their coat is not enough to combat the cold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ha! As if he isn't active! He's required to keep in shape, so he does run and the golden(s) will accompany him with that, seeing as he runs too early in the morning for me. But, once he runs the golden in the morning they'll follow my activity/training regimen.

ETA: Borzoi is a sighthound, not really that common. I did some research back before I got Amora and they stress out without a routine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts