Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Okay so I just had to vent to people that would somehow understand.

The daughter of a friend of mine is an idiot. I'm sorry but I said it! it's true. She is nineteen and is living in a one bedroom apartment with her two cats. Which is fine of course. She has never had a dog before and she has decided she wanted a dog.

Which is also fine - no judgement there. Who wouldn't want a dog? they are amazing.

However without talking to her rental office, without even checking to see what breeds are allowed or if she can even have another pet (cause of the two cats) she goes out and buys a puppy.

Does she get a newbie friendly puppy that might be appropriate for apartment living? or even a young partially trained dog to make it easier? or go down to the pound and adopt a dog in need there? the pound would have been great they are running a $20 adoption special right now because they are so full.

NOPE!

She gets on craigslist and buys a 6wk old deaf DOGO ARGENTINO for $200.

I cannot see this being anything but a disaster. I wish to go dog nap the puppy to save it before she can ruin the poor thing. I know I should be optimistic but I'm just not.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It does sorta sound like she hit every limb on her fall down from the "how not to get a first dog" tree, doesn't it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@necro17

I judge because she did no research on the breed. I judge because Dogo's are a high energy working mastiff breed and are not good apartment dogs. Also they are not good dogs for the novice dog owner even when they can hear.

I also judge because around here anyway the majority of apartments do not allow them. They are on the banned breed lists for almost all of the apartment complexes along with any other dog that looks vaguely pit like (example: American bulldog).

It is not about the dog being deaf. It is about a puppy that is going to grow up to be a very large, active dog living in a tiny apartment - where she is not allowed to keep it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Lots of dogos have hearing issues. It comes with the color (or lack there of). At least in a 1 bedroom apartment she'll always be with in sight.

I can't believe they're charging $200 for a deaf puppy though. In the best of cases those are sterilized and given away. Usually the just get tossed into the well.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Gah. Give it 9 months until she is trying to find it a new home because she either can't have it in her apartment, or it's completely unruly.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I seriously applaud people who rescue dogs with disabilities such as deafness or blindness, but I'll be the first to admit that I personally could not do it. And for a very first dog? I hope this girl does some research.

We met a deaf Boston Terrier at the dog park one time and his owner was telling us he ends up getting is scraps a lot because he can't hear other dogs growling at him.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Aggression can be an issue in Dogos in general, and scraps can be a particular issue with some deaf dogs because as @Shandula intimated hearing above, deaf dogs can't always parse other dogs' warnings as well. They can also be somewhat easily startled, which can result in flare-ups of fear-based aggression. Even Dogos with very even temperaments are dangerous dogs in a fight if they end up in one.

I mean, I know of a few Catahoula breeders that unilaterally recommend euthanasia for fully deaf puppies, because they consider deafness in a breed with higher protective/territorial instincts to be a big risk factor for bites. Not that I agree with their opinions exactly (I don't), but if deaf Catahoulas can be so tricky to manage I would think a deaf Dogo might be even trickier.

Plus, Dogos are large and can have very high prey drive and the girl has two cats and not a lot of space.

And they're not terrifically easy dogs to train. It might turn out okay but it's still just a lot of "what really?" at once to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a dogo Argentino?! gulp. I do applaud her for rescuing a deaf dog, but really? a dogo whose deaf for a first dog and in an apartment building? I wouldn't be surprised if he licked some cats for lunch... yikes!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
why judge her so early. Maybe she really wanted a young dog and don't mind rescuing a deaf dog. With enough attention, and love they might turn out well.
She is related to @K9Chaos, so I think she knows her best. Besides that, this is not a dog for a first time owner in a tiny apartment with 2 cats! I agree with @Liminal on this, & this is a disaster waiting to happen. Also, $200 sounds awfully cheap to me, which also sounds alarm bells! What kind of crappy breeder sells to such an unsuitable person!!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Really? For a DEAF puppy. It seems extraordinarily expensive to me
I think Judy meant that $200 is cheap for a Dogo in general, so to get a dog of that breed for such a cheap price (deaf or not) is alarming. Although we don't know how much they were charging for the other puppies.

I agree, this is just a disaster waiting to happen, all across the board.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
why judge her so early. Maybe she really wanted a young dog and don't mind rescuing a deaf dog. With enough attention, and love they might turn out well.
Dogos are a dog that you should only get when you've have at least 10+ years of dog experience...and large/powerful breeds. And a deaf one? Jesus Christ that's hard for a trainer to train. A dog like this might kill someone.

This girl is out of her freaking mind. Did she even know what a Dogo was? Where do you live that they're being sold online? It's going to destroy her house and maybe even cats. I just hope he doesn't hurt anyone.

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
What kind of crappy breeder sells to such an unsuitable person!!
One that obviously thinks it's ok to sell special needs dogs on Craigslist!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just know I am going to end up with this dog too - once it all goes south.

I just ... I get so frustrated with people. I wish they would think a bit more before acting.

Apparently she wanted a pitbull but knew they were not allowed so thought a dogo was a viable alternative.

I am just waiting to see what is going to happen now.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Why do people who've never had dogs think they can handle Pit Bulls? But ugh, I'd much rather hear she had a deaf Pit than Dogo.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ I don't think Pits are bad first dogs ...I've never met one w a bad temperament. A deaf Dogo Argentina on the other hand, disaster waiting to happen!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
^ I don't think Pits are bad first dogs ...I've never met one w a bad temperament. A deaf Dogo Argentina on the other hand, disaster waiting to happen!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never met a mean one either, but I do know they can be very intense- high energy, high drive and have a propensity for dog aggression and prey drive. But they're so diverse (overbred and mixed) that I think some are good for first time owners- especially if you get an adult so you know it's temperament beforehand.

Not gonna comment on the dogo though because I'm speechless lol. K9Chaos, if you think you're gonna end up with this dog would you be able to help her with training and socialization so it won't be a nightmare if you do end up taking it... or so that she'll be able to handle the dog herself?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.